“The best lamb in a long while”
Review of Persepolis

Persepolis
Reserve with OpenTable
Persepolis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,890 of 14,130 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: bet 73rd & 74th Streets
Description: Persepolis Is a Persian/ Mediterranean restaurant with a dynamic atmosphere and 20 years of experience! We are located in the Upper East Side on 2nd Avenue & 73rd Street. Our chef San Sethachutkul’s goal is to serve the finest Persian Feast and the best ingredients available from local markets & Persian imports. We prepare a simple yet creative menu that highlights those ingredients. The restaurant is famous for verity of kebabs and refreshing salads and gently spiced grilled meats. The yogurt and cucumber blended with a little mint is made exceedingly well and is an ideal cool compliment to Persepolis’ rounds of Pita & Barbari bread. Our kebabs which include moist and delicious salmon or saffron chicken are served without heavy sauces. Instead they are served with a choice of four rices including an intriguing blend of Basmati rice and marinated sour cherries. Our personalized wine list truly compliments our cuisine. We also offer a full classic bar. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The mixed appetizer plate included 6 different dipping sauces/dishes that were a meal in the,selves. The Baba was especially delicious.

But it was the lamb shank I had that stole the show. Served over a raisin couscous, it literally fell off the bone while being moist and with an infusion of marvelous aromas and tastes.

The only thing they lacked was a decent wine list. But then I don't think of Persia when it comes to wine.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Persepolis, an ancient capital of the Persian Empire was burned down after being conquered by Alexander the Great, but rises again in the form of a NYC neighborhood restaurant featuring Persian Cuisine on 2nd Ave in the 70's. First a cocktail, may I recommend the "Persepolitan," a mixture of Cherry Vodka, Grenadine, Pineapple, and Triple Sec, a little sweet but oh so refreshing. For starters the Hummus (particularly fresh) was served with a relish and warm bread, and the Baba (baked eggplant purée, Kashk [Persian goat cheese] walnut, and onion) was served warm and had multiple layers of flavor. Both were a perfect start to the evening. We also ordered the Yogurt Trio of home made yogurt with cucumber and mint, home made yogurt with aged shallots, and home made yogurt with spinach and garlic. We are still arguing over which one we liked the best. The main courses that we tasted and shared included saffron marinated shrimp, served with sautéed spinach, and citrus herb sauce, saffron marinated rack of lamb, served with eggplant and tangy yogurt, and baby lamb barg,a marinated tender lamb kebab. The dipping sauces really added to the meals. We also tried the side dish of polo albalo (basmati rice with sour cherries), again something new to us, and again delicious. But you must leave room for dessert...the Baklava was excellent, but everyone should taste Makhlut [Lemon Flavor Persian Sorbet With Saffron and Rose Ice Cream]. Attention foodies immediately add this to your list of must try.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

...the Carter Administration, and this joint is a favorite. Excellent food. I have taken many a NYC chick here, but alas, I am still single. maybe I should try Thai?

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I took my Persian-European boyfriend here for his birthday, and it was a little disappointing that only one of the six waiters spoke farsi. The decor was absolutely beautiful, especially a stunning display for the Persian New Year with fruits and plants and live goldfish in tall glass containers. But while the food was good enough, it was lacking an authentic Persian touch and flavor. My eggplant stew, while tasty enough, was mostly tomato and lentils with little of the rich tastes I remember from more authentic dishes. I'd eat there again I guess, but wish it was better.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Persepolis is another neighborhood gems, that surprises with a modern, clean interior, and continues with traditional Persian dishes, reminiscent of the Mediterranea cuisine, as well. I always go for the yogurt and cucumbers, and the shirazi salad is a great starter to your meal. The seafood entrees are a bit limited, when it comes to choices, but the salmon skewers are always something I would pick. For dessert, go for a light choice, such as the yogurt with orange bites.
I've yet to be let down by the menu and execution at this local hangout place.