“Great satisfying dinner for a vegetarian & non-vegetarian”
Review of Candle Cafe

Candle Cafe
Ranked #1,071 of 13,678 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Boston, MA
“Great satisfying dinner for a vegetarian & non-vegetarian”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We found this restaurant in a guidebook, and had a terrific meal. As a non-vegetarian, sometimes I find vegetarian or vegan restaurants unsatisfying, but this menu was diverse and the dishes we had were full of flavor, texture and variety.

We had to get out fairly quickly to get to a theater performance, and I was impressed that the service was very prompt, and everything came when we would want it: we never felt rushed, and we never felt that we were hanging around waiting.

If I lived in NYC, I feel certain that this would become a "go-to" restaurant for me. I had an elaborate sandwich, and my husband had a seitan based cutlet with gravy, vegetables and some kind of starch underneath. He was thrilled, as so few restaurants make that kind of tasty
comfort food (it was a cold winter weekend) for vegetarians.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
Virginia
“Delicious - just as good as Candle 79!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This food was really excellent. We went for lunch and got a tuscan seitan sandwich and a cajun seitan sandwich.

What they can do here is pretty amazing and very inventive.

Good spot. Nice atmosphere (tight squeeze of a space - but this is NYC). We'd definitely go back.

Just as good as Candle 79 nearby. No complaints. Friendly attentive service.

As we left there was a line out the door - no wonder it's a popular local eatery!

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“great for lunch”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Love this little cafe. Earthy and low key. Menu is creative and healthy. I always find new veg friendly things to do and places to go when waiting for a table and skimming the mags and fliers they have out. Quick and yummy.

• Visited September 2012
New York City
“Meh”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have eaten here 3 times and continue to be disappointed in the bland overpriced food. Twice for dinner, where I paid $19 for seitan that costs $3.00 a box in Whole Foods. And the funny thing is I like how I prepare it at home better than the breaded super rubbery version Candle serves. How can wheat gluten possibly cost the same as wild salmon does in a comparable restaurant??

The most recent visit was for brunch. I was anxious to try it for brunch because I am tired of always getting the rather unhealthy pancake or waffle option at regular restaurants. I got the nuevos rancheros (not sure if that's the exact name) - a mexican take on tempeh with potatoes, guac, vegan sour cream, the works. It was okay, not great. It reminded me a lot of an Amy's frozen dinner I like with similar ingredients - and tasted very similar too. If the meal had cost closer to what the Amy's frozen dinner costs I'd have been quite happy - problem is it was $20 including tax. As a pesce-tarian, I'm all for veggie and vegan restaurants and I try to avoid dairy whenever possible, but come on people - $20 for wheat gluten or tempeh is just robbery. For those prices it needs to be astronomically delicious, not remind me of my fave frozen dinner. The atmosphere is a bit tired too, reminds me of a Marriot. Downstairs is particularly drab.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank trav226
“A fortunate find..”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Close to Lenox Hill Hospital and an easy walk from the Metropolitan Museum , Candle Cafe's a vegan moderate price eatery. My local friends confirmed that it would have been their recommendation for me had I asked. Nice sized portions, well spiced & attractively presented even satisfied my carnivorous 23 yr old nephew. (all the PYT's doubtless helped). The inventive, tasty dishes can be complemented by a more than adequate selection of craft beers or organic wines.

• Visited December 2012