“Meh”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have eaten here 3 times and continue to be disappointed in the bland overpriced food. Twice for dinner, where I paid $19 for seitan that costs $3.00 a box in Whole Foods. And the funny thing is I like how I prepare it at home better than the breaded super rubbery version Candle serves. How can wheat gluten possibly cost the same as wild salmon does in a comparable restaurant??

The most recent visit was for brunch. I was anxious to try it for brunch because I am tired of always getting the rather unhealthy pancake or waffle option at regular restaurants. I got the nuevos rancheros (not sure if that's the exact name) - a mexican take on tempeh with potatoes, guac, vegan sour cream, the works. It was okay, not great. It reminded me a lot of an Amy's frozen dinner I like with similar ingredients - and tasted very similar too. If the meal had cost closer to what the Amy's frozen dinner costs I'd have been quite happy - problem is it was $20 including tax. As a pesce-tarian, I'm all for veggie and vegan restaurants and I try to avoid dairy whenever possible, but come on people - $20 for wheat gluten or tempeh is just robbery. For those prices it needs to be astronomically delicious, not remind me of my fave frozen dinner. The atmosphere is a bit tired too, reminds me of a Marriot. Downstairs is particularly drab.

2  Thank trav226

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Close to Lenox Hill Hospital and an easy walk from the Metropolitan Museum , Candle Cafe's a vegan moderate price eatery. My local friends confirmed that it would have been their recommendation for me had I asked. Nice sized portions, well spiced & attractively presented even satisfied my carnivorous 23 yr old nephew. (all the PYT's doubtless helped). The inventive, tasty dishes can be complemented by a more than adequate selection of craft beers or organic wines.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

But so is one and two. I was so happy to hear they opened a branch on the upper west side and it is ever bit as good as Candle 79 but more spacious and less cramped. The vegan food is out of this world and the drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic are sublime.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Candle Cafe is a neighborhood favorite which has excellent vegan food and a warm staff. It is a super relaxed atmosphere, in a hole in the wall space, which only adds to it's charm. It is so nice to have a restaurant with healthy and reasonably priced options. They have simple sides such as steamed greens, broccoli, sweet potato and tofu which make a perfect, simple dinner. The chimichirri seitan skewers are out of this world and the cajun seitan sandwich is delicious if you're feeling indulgent!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Hurricane Sandy shut down some vegan restaurants. Thank goodness for Candle Cafe. This restaurant is a gem. Kind of small for such a popular cafe but worth it