“Fun Evening on the UWS”

Ranked #3,226 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Cleopatra's Needle, named after the famed monument in New York's Central Park, is a world-renowned New York hot spot known for serving up food, drinks and hot live jazz to the New York jazz community. Our original cuisine has been featured on TV Food Network's "$40 a day", and we offer the best of New York's live jazz scene, with no cover charge. Our famed jazz jam sessions have attracted both the up-and-coming and the well-known stars of the jazz world. Weekly open mic for singers sessions and late night jam sessions provide a jazz feast for night owls, as well as a chance for young musicians and seasoned professionals to hone their skills, and trade hot licks. We also now have a top-of-the line grand piano. We have been featured in Downbeat magazine's international club guide, "100 Great Venues to Hear Jazz"
San Jose, California
“Fun Evening on the UWS”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

This is relaxed neighborhoody spot to enjoy a decent meal and some nice jazz. Nothing fancy here. If it was spectacular jazz, I'm not sure if know the difference, so it was just right for me.

We split the chicken kabob and the eggplant salad. The portions weren't huge, but after overindulging all day, they were just right.

I imagine this place is popular with locals, but the people next to us were from Denmark and we're from California.

Pleasant attentive service. Good music. Decent food. Fair price. This is a good bet.

2 Thank Mike95128

Denver
“Good food, pleasant & low key atmosphere, & reasonable prices.”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Food was tasty although not adventurous or a standout, service was efficient, and prices quite reasonable in context of UWS Manhattan. This is not a destination restaurant, but a nice place if you're in the neighborhood and want some good, honest food without a lot of "scene" b.s.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank bobbyhilldenver
New York City, New York
“Good happy hour place”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

The first time I came here was to kill time before meeting friends for dinner nearby and to try their happy hour. I was really happy with what I found inside.

The happy hour (until 7pm) is pretty good they make a great Dirty Martini and the wine selection is OK. I found out whole I was there that they had Jazz music around 8pm and an open Mic night.

I've been back a few times with friends and I love sitting at the bar with a Martini and listening to the various Jazz bands.

I've had a few appetizers like the Hummus it was OK.

I try to go back at least once a month.

1 Thank Carolinap1
Orlando, Florida
“FOOD & Jazz”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife daughter took us to the Needle........a sharp place no pun intended for jazz and
food.....The food is good.....had a nice bluefish dinner......our party enjoyed the cool jazz sounds while we dined all in all a good time had by all ..........

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Jazzmanblue
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Nice evening - fab jazz”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nice experience, good atmosphere, food good and staff friendly. We were on honeymoon and had already penned this as one to go when we were researching our trip. We stayed longer than we planned once we had finished our meal as there is a large bar area so we stayed and listened to the wonderful jazz - lovely, relaxing evening.

• Visited April 2013