“Good happy hour place”

Ranked #3,181 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Cleopatra's Needle, named after the famed monument in New York's Central Park, is a world-renowned New York hot spot known for serving up food, drinks and hot live jazz to the New York jazz community. Our original cuisine has been featured on TV Food Network's "$40 a day", and we offer the best of New York's live jazz scene, with no cover charge. Our famed jazz jam sessions have attracted both the up-and-coming and the well-known stars of the jazz world. Weekly open mic for singers sessions and late night jam sessions provide a jazz feast for night owls, as well as a chance for young musicians and seasoned professionals to hone their skills, and trade hot licks. We also now have a top-of-the line grand piano. We have been featured in Downbeat magazine's international club guide, "100 Great Venues to Hear Jazz"
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

The first time I came here was to kill time before meeting friends for dinner nearby and to try their happy hour. I was really happy with what I found inside.

The happy hour (until 7pm) is pretty good they make a great Dirty Martini and the wine selection is OK. I found out whole I was there that they had Jazz music around 8pm and an open Mic night.

I've been back a few times with friends and I love sitting at the bar with a Martini and listening to the various Jazz bands.

I've had a few appetizers like the Hummus it was OK.

I try to go back at least once a month.

1  Thank Carolinap1

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife daughter took us to the Needle........a sharp place no pun intended for jazz and
food.....The food is good.....had a nice bluefish dinner......our party enjoyed the cool jazz sounds while we dined all in all a good time had by all ..........

2  Thank Jazzmanblue
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nice experience, good atmosphere, food good and staff friendly. We were on honeymoon and had already penned this as one to go when we were researching our trip. We stayed longer than we planned once we had finished our meal as there is a large bar area so we stayed and listened to the wonderful jazz - lovely, relaxing evening.

2  Thank J K
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This restaurant was close to the hotel we staying at and we chose to go into it as it had a welcoming exterior and someone was singing inside. Our meals were very good and the service was quick and efficient. However I think that we had turned up on Karaoke night at the singing continued non stop and the abilities of the performers was somewhat variable. However we regarded the experience as us immersing ourselves in the local culture.

2  Thank Brucestewart
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This small bar and restaurant was a pleasant surprise. There is live jazz most nights which you can enjoy from a table that affords a view of Broadway so you can people-watch. The food was very well prepared and reasonably priced, and the service was both friendly and competent.

2  Thank Frederick G