“The Good and the Bad”

Ranked #2,776 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Cleopatra's Needle, named after the famed monument in New York's Central Park, is a world-renowned New York hot spot known for serving up food, drinks and hot live jazz to the New York jazz community. Our original cuisine has been featured on TV Food Network's "$40 a day", and we offer the best of New York's live jazz scene, with no cover charge. Our famed jazz jam sessions have attracted both the up-and-coming and the well-known stars of the jazz world. Weekly open mic for singers sessions and late night jam sessions provide a jazz feast for night owls, as well as a chance for young musicians and seasoned professionals to hone their skills, and trade hot licks. We also now have a top-of-the line grand piano. We have been featured in Downbeat magazine's international club guide, "100 Great Venues to Hear Jazz"
Ventura, Calif
“The Good and the Bad”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Been here several times on trips to New York for drinks and the jazz. This time, we had dinner, too. The jazz is great and there is no cover, just a minimum charge for food/drinks, which I believe was reasonable. The meal was okay as far as quality, taste, and all- I wouldn't complain about it, but it wasn't inovative or succulant.

What I will compain about, was the wine. A list of wines, all at $50/bottle, which is fine if you get a good bottle of wine. I ordered an Australian Shiraz, ( I believe "Alice....something), and it was terrible! They claimed they had just purchased it, but it was a 2005, so where ever it has been stored the last 8 years, something happened to it. Should have sent it back, but we were enjoying the jazz. Beware of the wines!

• Visited June 2013

Far North Coast, NSW
“Nice atmosphere with the live Jazz”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We enjoyed 2 meals here. Service was excellent. Meals good, but overpriced for what you get: not highly technical cooking involved...so you are really paying for the live music, which is fair enough. Good atmosphere. You can sit at the bar or at the dining tables. Big screen TV to watch the sport if the music is not on and your sitting up at the bar.

• Visited June 2013
“Pricy and unwelcoming”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stopped in here because we wanted a place to listen to Jazz. The minimum purchase requirement was quite reasonable, so we picked this place. Seeing the prices of everything, it was obvious that was a mistake. Had they been more reasonable we would have gotten more. As it was we reach bought one drink and met the requirement. When our server realized we would not be getting anything else he was quite irate, and very short with us. Mind you they only had a half hour until they closed, so it wasn't like we were taking up needed seats. When I settled my bill, he disappeared without giving me my change. I had to track him down to get my money. Music was good, but we'll go somewhere else next time.

• Visited March 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Fun atmosphere, can be good music, average food”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The vibe is pretty fun (although it may well depend on the music that night) and the happy hour OK. If you get a good band (or fun open mike night), can really be a blast. Don't go for the hummus appetizer, but most things we've tried OK. Good folks behind the bar.

Visited December 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Don't eat! Go for a beer and the up mic jazz.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Seriously don't eat the food is expensive and barily eatable (at best). The food just isn't very good but the beer is cold and the music is fun. If you are in the neighborhood and looking for a little music in a laid back place with no cover, pop in and have is listen. Open mic nights have an excentric collection of regulars.

• Visited September 2012