“Terrible Service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Bar

Sugar Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sugar Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,591 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cross street: Broadway and West End
Transit: 1,2,3 to 72nd Street
“Terrible Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I hate to give bad reviews but the service that I got at the Sugar bar really deserves it. I went on a Saturday night at 10pm to see a band play. I sat at a table with a friend an ordered wine, water and vegetable quesadillas as an appetizer. The waitress brought us the wine but not the water. 45 minutes later we kept asking the waitress for my glass of water,she gave us an attitude and said that it wasnt her fault, it was the bus boy's fault. The water and quesadillas arrives an hour later. My friend and I asked to speak to the manager. When we told the manager what happened she didn't apologize and just gave us the check for the wine.
Not to mention that the include a gratituity % of the wine. I wont go ever again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Alejiz

New York City, New York
“Decent Food, Terrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Went to Sugar Bar for my partners birthday. We got to the restaurant at 5.45 pm. We were the only table eating. You would think the service would have been better. The service was horrible. The waitress did not know anything . When we asked how much the steak was because the menu stated mp, She said she didn't know. I asked for an ice tea four times to three different people, after 45 minutes I again asked the waitress where is my ice tea, and her answer was " didn't someone tell you we have no ice tea". Then after another 10 minutes someone brought me ice tea. I thought she said they didn't have any. The food was actually ok, nothing fabulous, but ok. However though out the meal I never saw the waitress. Where was she? There weren't any other tables Because it was a birthday celebration we had bought some cupcakes with us, the waitress said we would be charged a three dollar fee. Really, we already had dropped over 100 bucks on dinner and drinks. Then to top things off the check came with the tip already added. This is New York , and I am a New Yorker , we usually add our own tip. Don't tell me how much you deserve. I would not go back

1 Thank Norman8617
New York City, New York
“Hit the right night and you might see Valerie Simpson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson opened this musical oasis on 72nd street a number of years ago. He passed past year, but the place has not changed and Valerie keeps his legacy alive. It is the last bastion of the authentic blues in NYC and on Tuesday nights the blues singers of New York line up for open mike night, which was his thing. Most open mike nights brings in 50% duds, but not at the Sugar Bar, where real singers get up and belt it out on the stage, accompanied by the great house band! But that's not all, great drinks and the food, which has a soulful touch is quite good. While I have been there with a rare off night on talent, usually they only hire in first rate musicians...if you get there on the right night and sometimes it's on a Tuesday, Valerie gets up and sings and that is a legendary experience!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NYCtoEurope
“Run while you can”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I don't usually give bad review to small local business but this is just inexcusable and I don't want others to become one of their victim again. I've purchased a voucher from Google Offers last year to Sugar bar, similar to the Groupon deal they are offering. I made the reservation a week prior to the visit, mentioned I have the Google voucher during the booking. However, when I showed up for my reservation I was informed by the General Manager - "Hugo Astudillo" at the front door which they can't honor the offer they sold on Google because he is new and he doesn't know anything about it. I asked him to talk to his boss or someone who has worked there before him, for whatever reason he refused to and simply said he has no knowledge about the offer without even trying to applogize. At this time I decided to call Google and have the account agent spoke to him but he still refused to do anything about it. Google informed me their account is still active, they had sold many of these vouchers for them and there is no reason for them not to honor the voucher. I am a very calm person but I was furious because they could've told me they don't honor the voucher when I made the reservation, it's not a big deal cuz I know Google would credit me back if that's the case. The way how that moron GM handle the situation just amazed me, not only he didn't acknowledge it was their fault but he was trying to say the people took the reservation in the office had nothing to do with him and not even tried to apologize. If I am the owner I would fire this guy immediately to prevent future lost of buisness. I've seen bad customer service over the years but this is on top of the list. Sugar Bar should definitely be shutdown for trying to scam the innocent New Yorkers.

Below are just some of the highlights of the shocking reviews from previous patrons:

One of my worst dining experiences. We were relegated to the 'garden' room, where you can pay $10 cover to watch the musical performance on a TV screen. While other music is broadcast through the speakers! No waiter showed for 45 minutes, then the manager took our drink and food orders. Drinks came 30 minutes later, food 30 minutes after the drinks, two of the four entres were wrong, the mashed potatoes were cold.

The service is super bad, hygiene was below standard and food was horrific.

I've been before and vowed I'd never go back because it was crowded and over priced and the food was terrible, seating in the Sugar Bar is TERRIBLE! They pack you in like a can of sardines, there is literally NO space whatsoever between tables so you are literally on top of the person sitting next to you.

Show never started even 1 hour and 25 minutes after entering the restaurant with no apologies from anyone.
Band just sat at the bar while customer look how they drank and talked among their friends instead of given them the show they had expected.
There was a very weird after taste on the food we had with some having an ammonia after taste.

You must paid an 18% gratuity that is mandatory even though waitress was not even paying attention to our orders, delivered drinks after we finished eating and had bad tasting food. Keep in mind the place was half empty so you can imagine the service you will get if this were packed.

This place was just plain awful. I took my GF and she was just as disgusted as I was. The food was so bland! We both got fish and it was chewy and tasteless. Oh they also add gratuity regardless of how many people you go with. Pure NYC ripoff. Do yourself a favor and go get a TV dinner. It will taste better then this place...

Wish I could give no star- worst experience ever! Argued about Groupon, waited one and one half hour for food, cold potatoes, tilapia instead of salmon, no
bread-could not enjoy the music-beyond bad-really sad...

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank L H
New York City, New York
“REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I purchase Groupon, Living Social and Google Offers vouchers as many of cost/spend conscious consumers do when we go out. These vouchers are agreements between the above mentioned and the business that allows the consumer to receive a discount for services. With that being said, I had a $40 worth of food/drinks with admission to the live show for 2 for $25. The establishment waited until we were comfortable seated with food and drinks ordered to tell us "Google Offers" could not honer the voucher. Well that is impossible I replied. I called Google as I sat at the table with others staring. I was informed that it was not Google but the Manager who had no idea what to do with the voucher despite that it was established by the Sugar Bar itself. The manager waved our voucher around and tried to convince the Google representative to refund our money. I told the Manager we wouldn't be staying and to cancel our order. He was very upset and asked twice if we were leaving. I feel the management made a big mistake to not honer the voucher when the bill would've no doubt exceeded $40 on the 2 entrees alone. We had ordered appetizers and drinks as well. If you are a Groupon/Living Social/Google Offers consumer you know this NEVER happens when you purchase a voucher. Shame on you Sugar Bar for being the 1st out of 23 vouchers I've purchased to not honer it!

• Visited February 2012