“I Ate The Whole Thing”
Review of Sugar Bar

Sugar Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sugar Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,732 of 13,681 Restaurants in New York City
Transit: 1,2,3 to 72nd Street
South Orange, New Jersey
“I Ate The Whole Thing”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Before a show at the Beacon Theatre, we hunted down Sugar Bar for an early dinner. I had heard about it, now I was going. I ate the fried whole red snapper. That's right, a whole snapper; and it was a big sucker! Needless to say I ate til my jaws ached. They served us free wings at the bar during happy hour, so I was really stuffed. It's small, narrow and gets real crowded, real fast, so I advise getting there early to get a seat at the small bar. Only been there once, so far. Sugar Bar is owned by Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson. RIP Nick.

• Visited March 2011

Shawnee,
“GREAT music - good food”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

go fo the music - especially when Paul Peress is playing! A small intimate spot - great for live music and casual dining. Always go there whenever I'm in NYC

• Visited October 2011
Barking, United Kingdom
“Great food, great music, superb atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We purposely visited the Sugar Bar on our 1st night (even though we were staying in Brooklyn). We were not disappointed. After a fine (not too expensive) meal, we settled down to wait for the music.
As the band got ready, the owners Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson (of Ashford & Simpson Fame) arrived. Nick made a point of moving around every table, to say a few words. It was then the turn of the band to start, they were Hot, Hot, Hot. Later a young femail R&B singer got up & had a voice that was out of this world. Reminded me of a young Tina Turner.
The is a $10 charge to get in, to cover the cost of the music. I'd have paid more!!!
Brilliant night out.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Bilncrs
NY
“Charming Neighborhood Hangout”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This TINY space is hard to find (with an even tinier bamboo thatched-roof bar area). We went there for dinner because it was near our hotel and the Museum of Natural History. We heard it was owned by Ashford and Simpson (singer/songwriters) and frequented by Mya Angelou (poet laureate), et al. The food and service was good but the local musicians were so fabulous that we hung out until 4 in the morning and EVERYONE was having a GREAT time. The VIBE is awesome!

1 Thank alltrue2