“Great authentic German cuisine”
Review of Cafe Sabarsky

Cafe Sabarsky
Ranked #36 of 452 Dessert in New York City
Cuisines: Austrian, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Loved the spatzle, asparagus with potatoes, and mango-ginger iced tea. It's great to visit a museum/gallery that has excellent dining options.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

This seems to be a popular place...We waited about 20 minutes. Interesting menu choices and a decent wine/beer selection. Our food was good. Service was fine. Room is very nice. If you are on the Museum mile, it's worth a try.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

When you have a plan to go to Neue Galerie or The Metropolitan Museum of Art, you can get this nice cafe for lunch or tea break.
We visited there on Sunday afternoon, so there were a long queue in front, but the waiting time was not too long. only for 15 minutes

There is a same restaurant downstairs, so if you do not mind about the location, you can go there too.

We ordered some chocolate and strawberry cakes and Vienna coffee.
The coffee was so strong taste, and the whip cream was really buttery taste, so I did not like it.
The cakes were very delicious.
I paid about 40 dollars for two cakes and drinks. That was so expensive.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a tough one because I'm glad we went but I don't think we'd go back, except maybe for dessert. First, keep Google Maps open on your phone because it's hard to find. There's no entranceway directly from the street and there's no signage on the exterior of the building. The building's doormen aren't all that welcoming and you will have to allow your purse to be searched before standing in line inside with your coat still on. (Now that I think of it, this was really unpleasant.)

Once you're seated, the interior of the restaurant is quite lovely with high ceilings, and lots of mouldings and dark hardwood. The menu is pricey. Once you've acclimatized to American portion sizes, you expect more than these smaller serving sizes for the price. I had a really interesting and refreshing beverage that was part lemonade and part cucumber juice which I enjoyed. Also, all of the side dishes were very freshly and delicately flavoured. Although the Vienna schnitzel was good, I've had better (thinner, less tough, crisper and tastier coating) at a more hole-in-the-wall type establishment elsewhere. The desserts were excellent though. (Again, I normally wouldn't expect to have room for dessert after a $29 schnitzel.) My husband had apple strudel and I had a lemon-biscuit-torte, both which, like the side dishes, were obviously prepared with very fresh, carefully selected ingredients.

1  Thank educationtogo
Reviewed March 15, 2014

OK, yes, you have to wait in line and it is a bit pricey - but if you have lived in Vienna like I have, it is worth it. The food is amazingly good and for the busyness of the place, service is even better.This was my first visit, but I am already thinking about when I can go back.