“Excellent dinner!”

Scaletta Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Scaletta Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,443 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Ave
Transit: 1,9 79th St and B,C at 81st St
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Authentically Italian cuisine, lots is specials, excellent service, and a desert cart with mouthwatering deserts, all made fir a great experience. We particularly liked that the tables are well spaced apart, so one doesn't feel crowded and can actually carry out a conversation without shouting. A great find in the UWS.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Had Prix Fixe menu for New Years Eve in this wonderful Italian restaurant.
Restaurant was full with locals from UWS Manhattan- always a good sign!

Food was fantastic-plenty of time between all courses.

Wine was reasonably priced for Manhattan.

Easy walk at 11.45pm to Central Park for NYE fireworks.
All in all a great experience.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We wanted to take our Mother and Father out for a nice dinner and chat and we asked them to pick the place. They picked Scaletta's and we were glad. The atmosphere is quiet and comfortable old NY. The service was excellent and the food was very good. I had the crab cakes which were good but not great. I am extremely fussy about crabcakes and I expect them to be 98% crabs and these didn't quite hit that mark. Next I had the Halibut special which was a fine piece of fish and well prepared. Desert was a lovely pistachio/cherry torte. The Malbec was average. Coffee not great. Everyone else seemed content with his or her meal. My parents each had veal and my husband had lasagna. My parents are stringent foodies and if things were not right we would have heard about it! One of the best parts about eating here is that we were able to enjoy each others company in a quiet enough to have a conversation environment and have a very nice meal.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

On a recent visit to NYC, dined here with three grandchildren before going to the theatre. The restaurant is conveniently located in Theatre Row and offers prix-fixe pre-theatre meals. We did not order any but ordered a la carte. The pasta which the grandchildren ordered was excellent. My husband and I had a veal dish which was just fair. Veal could have been more tender. The service was excellent without being rushed.

1  Thank Fran L
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am not going to lie to you. This is not a great Italian restaurant. It's not a "find; it's not a "can't miss." What it is, however, is a very nice, comfortable, old-fashioned neighborhood Italian restaurant with sweet waiters, where you can get a very good meal at a reasonable price. The food is unexceptional, except for dessert, which I will mention later. I strongly recommend the dishes with the fewest ingredients and the simplest preparations. One of my favorites is the chicken paillard, which is topped by a lovely fresh salad of tomato, arugula and red onion. Olive and white balsamic vinegar. Perfect, light and refreshing. And the desserts are all "hits." They are known for their rice pudding cake, which is exactly what you do not expect: it is light, airy and just fabulous.
If you are at the New York Historical Society or the Museum of Natural History, this is the perfect place for dinner.