“Making it a Favorite!”

Neighborhood: Upper West Side
New York City, New York
“Making it a Favorite!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Visiting a friend in the neighborhood took me to one of her favorite restaurants...took a chance on a Saturday night, walked in and they seated us right away. Delicious food, good service and a nice atmosphere. The place is bustling and I did notice they try to hurry you along...not in an intrusive way...being a New Yorker we can be great at ignoring this.

1 Thank journeys75

New York City, New York
“Nice for the neighborhood”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I haven't been here in a long while but I was very pleasantly surprised when I ate here recently. Nice service and nice food and a surprisingly decent wine list.I would stay away from the main courses as they are the most expensive and just so-so. The appetizers and pastas are the way to go, tasty and good values.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank GrillMeisterNYC
NY
“Excellent Italian Food”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I live in the neighborhood and just haven't got around to trying Gennaro until recently. It's always packed and there's a reason - it's good. As one who prefers Italian cooking like I find in Italy, vs. American Italian with heavy sauces, etc I found the food clean, fresh and will def be back for more. I came with a friend on Sat night and we were immediately seated which was a shock because it was packed. I wish they took cards because I'm the typical New Yorker who never has cash, but was prepared. I highly recommend.

1 Thank t1997
cgibbon
“Nice neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I live in this neighborhood and unfortunately there are not a lot of great restaurants in the area (there are a lot of restaurants, just not good ones). Gennaro is definitely somewhere worth going back to, and we do.
The food is excellent, the place has a nice vibe, a good wine list and a cute little bar. It does not take credit cards (which is ok so long as you know that) or reservations. My only complaint would be that the waitstaff are often trying to get us out the door as quickly as possible, which is not a pleasant feeling considering it is not a cheap place. I don't expect to linger all night, but to have waiters hurrying us along when we have been there barely an hour, and our bill is $170 for two, is not good service. This has happened several times, not just once, which is why I mention it. On the other hand at other times the service has been very good.
I have been there for a couple visit, a family visit and a friends visit, many times over 3 years. TripAdvisor does not allow any more than one of these selections tho.

1 Thank cgibbon
Vermont
“Food great-Customer consideration lacking”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The food is delicious, the wine list ample and reasonable. And yes bring cash. But in spite of them having accepted a phone reservation, we were forced to stand and wait for thirty minutes. The gracious hostess kept promising the NEXT table, but one of the owners kept us waiting as he seated friends or regulars before us. Instead of explaining himself or offering a bottle of wine, he ignored us as his embarrassed hostess tried her best. I'll go again, but the owners need a crash course in fairness and courtesy.

• Visited December 2012