“Welcoming atmosphere and delicious food”
Review of Isabella's - CLOSED

Isabella's
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 77th Street
Transit: A, B, C & D trains to 80th Street/Central Park West, and 1 train to 79th Street. M10 bus on Columbus Ave and 77th Street.
Description: A faithful neighborhood favorite, Isabella’s has been an Upper West Side institution for over two decades, a hit with locals and celebrities alike. Isabella’s defines Upper West Side dining with reliable market-fresh offerings for the Mediterranean palate. From birthdays to celebratory brunches, many a memories have been made at Isabella’s and continue unfolding at this “oasis for an unrushed, delicious meal,” according to Zagat. When the weather’s pleasant, grab a sidewalk seat in the café for a classic New York Brunch filled with people-watching, benedicts and Bloody Marys. Indulge your sweet tooth in a Chocolate Bag, a dessert staple that’s been on the menu since opening day!
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very nice wait staff give you the specials; we had unusual and yummy fresh artichoke salad. Portions are generous. There are tables on the street if the weather's good. Human-sized bar with a welcoming bartender who doesn't hover. It can be noisy; ask for a table at the side. I will certainly go again.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I thought the ambience in this restaurant was lovely and the service quite good. I went with five people on a Friday night and all of our dishes were delicious. The prices for a New York restaurant were reasonable and I would go back.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I used to love Isabella's but stopped going because it was too noisy and the food was mediocre. Recently because of convenience I went there again. My request for a quiet table through Open Table was honored and it made a big difference. We could talk and enjoy the food so I'm a fan again.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We went to Isabella's for dinner last Saturday on our final night of a four day trip to New York as we were staying nearby on W81st Street. It was really busy and we had no reservation so were pleasantly surprised to be so warmly welcomed and seated almost immediately. Our server (sorry, I've forgotten her name!) was incredibly attentive and seemed genuinely pleased to be there,swiftly getting us a great glass of wine and iced water. This set the tone for the whole evening. We both skipped appetizers and enjoyed the fabulous pumpkin ravioli for our main course; the combination of flavours was just right and the portion size good but not too overwhelming. Following this, I opted for the apple tart which was superb whilst my mum went for the dark chocolate 'bag'. This dessert was something else - totally amazing. If you're a fan of berries and good quality dark chocolate, you won't go wrong! In short, this restaurant provided the most amazing end to a great trip with just the right mix of lively atmosphere, excellent food and superb service all at a really good price. Here's hoping we'll be back someday soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed dinner and brunch at this teriffic restaurant. Brunch was good, but dinner was a hit. Crabcakes were full of crab and beautifully cooked, with an apple based coleslaw accompaniment. The fish (cod) and the steak mains were perfectly cooked and the accompnying wines recommended by the waiter matched beautifully. We were given an 'amuse bouche' slobster bisque which was also very good. Service was excellent - if anything a bit fast, so if you want to take your time, I suggest you tell your server. The desserts looked excellent, but with the serving sizes in the previous courses we regretfully decided not to indulge.Based on the dinner experience we went back for brunch next day prior to a flight - enjoyed basic but well done eggs and trimmings. Staff are friendly and helpful and the restaurant has the order taking/service/clearing processes down pat. Highly recommended place to go for a moderatelypriced, very good meal.