“Very Enjoyable”

Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i were walking up Amsterdam looking for Italiam and happened upon this small restaurant. What a find! The place was packed but the server was attentive and service excellent. We had two different pasta dishes (including the gnochi four cheese special. If we lived in the neighborhood, this would be "out" place.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Celeste is a little Italian restaurant lost on Amsterdam Ave in the Upper West Side. The food is what makes the best of this place, the pasta is homemade and is divine: authentic Italian food! Then it's quite cheap for its quality, my prawn pasta was about 14$. The only downside is probably the service, the staff never smiles and is quite rude. My friend arrived a bit late and they refused to serve her a main meal as they stated that all people should be served at the same time (???!). Then it was obvious that towards dessert time, they wanted us to leave so that they could free the table when there were 5 tables free in the room!
It would be a great restaurant if it wasn't for the attitude.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I haven't had the opportunity to dine in at Celeste, to be honest. I'm lucky enough to live just a few blocks from it and order for pick up. :) The only thing I can speak about is the food, not the service. I ordered a basic spaghetti and marinara dish - it's my "litmus test" for all Italian restaurants - and it was absolutely amazing. For such a simple sauce, Celeste's had hints of complexity that pulled you away from the expected taste experience but were subtle enough to bring you back to where you wanted to be in the first place. So. Crazy. Good. The noodles were cooked perfectly too - not too soft, not too hard. Just the right texture. This place has become the first place I mention when people ask me where they should get Italian food.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Tiny, loud, crowded, yet bet, but more than worth it. And a bonus--no wait. We shared an eggplant stuffed with proscuito and cheese and the spaghetti with white clam sauce--both were excellent. Everyone around us also seemed to be enjoying their meals. The recommended red wine was just right.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is a great little place, with friendly service and really good cooking. Our starters - chicken livers and eggplant - were both huge and packed with flavour. For mains the spaghetti with clams was sensational, and the veal was very good. Good atmosphere too, and great value. Will be be back next time we are in NYC. Only minor inconvenience is no cards - cash only.