“Somehow their mistake was my fault...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pappardella

Pappardella
Reserve with OpenTable
Pappardella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,171 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 75th Street
Transit: 1,2,3,C,B to 72 Street
Description: Pappardella restaurant brings to you the flavors and food of Tuscany. Established in 1983, Pappardella offers a romantic setting of timeless charm with 20 foot ceilings, French doors & a stunning mural of Florence. Menu and service reflect the warmth and attention of the old world, as well as the diversity and techniques of today. we feature homemade pasta, artisanal pizza & other great Italian staples, like chicken parmagian, grilled branzino & scrumptious tiramisu. A beautiful outdoor terrace makes for great people watching in the warm months. Pappardella is conveniently located near the beacon theater, the museum of natural history & Central Park offering lunch & dinner pre fix, brunch & a busy happy hour.
South Carolina
“Somehow their mistake was my fault...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I booked the Travel Zoo picnic deal. Over a month in advance I made the reservations online for 11:30 am on Monday. We rented our bikes and headed over. I was met by an incredibly rude hostess who proceeded to tell me that they weren't open until Noon and I had to come back. I explained to her I had a pick up reservation for 11:30 that I made on THEIR website and that we had scheduled all our plans around that pick up time. She quite rudely said there was no way they would reserve for a time they weren't open so I pulled up the email confirmation from them to show her. She didn't care--no apology, no explanation, complete indifference and refusal to do anything. I asked for a manager and she said there wasn't one. When I pushed a bit she said she would "go look." Miraculously a manger appeared 5 min later who proceeded to maintain the same rude tone and tell me they were closed. I showed her the email--at least this time she said "that should never have been done"--but no "I'm sorry" or any kind of acceptance of their mistake. She said she would ask the kitchen if they could accommodate my "special request" and let me know how soon it would be ready--she never returned. After another 10 min of waiting I asked the hostess what the status was and she felt it necessary to remind me again they were closed and that they were going out of their way to make our food for us. Again, no apology--just rudeness. I said "I'm sorry this is such a bother but I wouldn't push it except we had a RESERVATION FROM YOU for this time and planned around it." By noon a respectful man from the kitchen brought our food out. He didn't apologize but at least he didn't treat me like I had done something wrong.

The food they gave us was not exactly what was supposed to be in the picnic, but it tasted okay. The antipasti platter was not very good, we really could only stomach the artichokes--maybe it wasn't the best thing to take on the go?! The pasta was okay, good flavor but a little dry for my liking. The sandwiches were good, the mozzarella was pretty tasty. The dessert--chocolate cakes--we're very good and the highlight of the meal.

So I won't ever return to Pappardella and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone--especially not the picnic lunch. They need some serious training on customer service and help with website design!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Amalcar

Blacksburg,VA
“Meh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went there based on proximity to the Museum, reviews and a gluten-free menu for one of our party. Three Margherita pizzas and one gluten free pizza. The regular pizzas had okay crusts, too much cheese, not enough tomato and almost no basil - one of the essential elements of this type of pizza! The draft Moretti was nice - but the meal was way over-priced for what you get. Overall, pretty disappointing fare. Cannot really give it much of a recommendation - the only disappointment in the last five days.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“Nice Escape from the Rain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I went to Pappardella last week with two friends who were (independently) leaving New York the next day. She had the superb pappardelle funghi e tartufo, he had the vitello al limone. I was jealous of them both but my vitello al parmigiano was a fine consolation. It was nice to go to a long-established restaurant that is not trying to be something it isn't and therefore is very good at what it does.

We sat at the bar - it was that kind of night - and the staff were very friendly and attentive. After dinner we decided to have chilled shots of Stoli Strawberry. Pappadelle isn't exactly a "shots at the bar" kind of place and the bartender apologized for not having regular shot glasses. Then she proceeded to shake them perfectly, achieving the little ice crystals that really enhance the experience. We just had to have another round.

Thursday, you may recall, was monsoon season in New York. The restaurant was not so busy table-wise but slammed with delivery orders. Sitting at the bar always give one a little view behind the scenes and it was interesting to watch the manager and staff juggle the rainy-night delivery chaos while maintaining a calm presence in front of the diners.

Now that my friends have left the city I will sneak back to Pappardella to try their entrees. When's the next monsoon coming?

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ItsNotMyFault
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Rude manager”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We bought a coupon for the picnic offer via Travelzoo, booked a pick up slot way in advance and headed there on Monday to pick it up. The guy behind the bar checked their system then told us that they had no record of our booking (I even printed off the confirmation of booking from their own website and showed them this!!). No apologies were offered and the guy behind the bar then had a hushed conversation with the manager – I don’t know what was said. Another customer then came in to pick up an order and was told the same thing. He didn’t take it as well as we did, and was (rightly so) annoyed by the inconvenience. The manager then apologised to the angry customer, but not us, who were waiting patiently and not causing a fuss!!! However, the manager didn’t sound sincere at all and then started getting angry with the other customer!!! It was like something out of Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen. I couldn’t believe the way the manager acted and he certainly needs to be trained to be polite to customers. The food then came out after twenty minutes (of course, the customer who complained and arrived after us received his picnic first). The restaurant was empty (zero customers), and I counted at least five members of staff (and that’s without seeing the kitchen staff etc) – so I don’t know why we had to wait around for so long. The upshot of it was that we had to wait around for 20 minutes while they threw the picnic together. No apologies were made and no offers of a refund etc. Rubbish service, rude staff. Don’t bother.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kempybabes
New York City, New York
“Good food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Nice, quaint, UWS Italian place that serves up hearty portions of several types of pasta and many other tasty dishes. We were seated on time and greeted by friendly waitress. They did run out of our wine choise and they don't do anchovies on the ceasar salad. Enjoyed the meal however.