“I come every time I'm in the city”
Review of Awash

Awash
Ranked #3,879 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
“I come every time I'm in the city”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

There is just something about Ethiopian food that is utterly in the "comfort food" realm for me. So, I guess I'm biased in that way. I have not had the experience of comparing ten different Ethiopian restaurants, but I've been to a half-dozen or so in different cities and elsewhere in NYC, and this compares very well. Every now and again the dishes are inconsistent, but mostly it is delicious. My daughter, who goes to Columbia U, enjoys her gift certificates to Awash with her friends.

• Visited July 2014

• Polish first
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Average ethiopian for lunch”
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Nothing outstanding but satisfying enough if you're already in the neighborhood. The decor is nice on the walls but the furniture is sterile.

• Visited July 2014
Leonia, New Jersey
“Good food, fun experience”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The last time I had Ethiopian food was in Adams Morgan area, District of Columbia, maybe 30 years ago. Can't say I enjoyed that experience. This place was very good. Don't sit at a table on the floor cross legged but instead sit on the chair. Same weird dough they use to pick up the food from the plate, but, the food on the plate was very good. Surprisingly, Ethiopian beer was also very good as was their wines. The service was great, very nice. All in all, I was very happy to be exposed to this cuisine and culture once again!

• Visited May 2014
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“Terrific Ethiopian Food”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Very flavorful food with large options for vegetable and meat lovers alike. Various combo plates and options to share. I had the vegetable combo and with that could pick 5 vegetables to try. There were 5 of us for dinner. Some love spicy and other's not so much. Two people had never eaten Ethiopian before and were surprised that there were no utensils and Ethiopian bread injera was used to eat the food. I think everyone enjoyed the meal. The atmosphere is relaxed and the service is friendly.We were not rushed and in fact had to ask for the check. You should note that 20% gratuity is added to the check.

• Visited May 2014
Dusseldorf, Germany
“refreshing”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Tasty food and reasonable prices = great value. Good beer selection, too. This place stood out during a week in the Lower East Side in which we went to several more expensive restaurants with great sevice and excellent presentation but with food that for the most part was lacking in flavour.
We ordered vegetarian, and I was a bit surprised that it wasn't spicier. They said the meat is hotter and - nice gesture - brought me some of the lamb to sample. Would definitely return.

• Visited April 2014