“Soho gem”
Review of The Mercer Kitchen

The Mercer Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mercer Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #574 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoHo
Cross street: Mercer
Transit: B,D,F,M to Broadway/Lafayette; 6 to Spring St; or N,R, to Prince Street.
Description: Located at the Mercer Hotel, Mercer Kitchen brings a chic, sophisticated vibe to the heart of SoHo. When Mercer Kitchen opened in 1998, it immediately became a destination for New Yorkers, celebrities, and tourists. Situated in the basement of a historic building constructed in the 1800s, the restaurant was designed by Christian Liaigre as a combination of industrial and classic modernism. Chef Jean-Georges' American menu features market-driven, seasonal ingredients prepared in a simple yet elegant style, with favorites like the Tuna Spring Roll, Steamed Shrimp Salad, wood-fired pizzas, and classic Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake. There is an open kitchen, where guests can sit back and watch the show.The perfect restaurant for group dining, special events and celebrations.
London, United Kingdom
“Soho gem”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We reserved a day in advance and had a good experience here. The restaurant itself is dimly lit with loads of atmosphere. Our waitress, Anya, was very friendly & helpful ( especially to our 9 year old son, bearing in mind it's probably not the kind of place you'd take a child for dinner). The dressing with the shrimp salad was fantastic & the chicken was tasty & nicely seasoned. The best bit was the plate of mixed cookies - absolutely delicious and mouth watering. I'd go back for those alone! Some people were very casual but it's the kind of place to get your LBD out for.

Visited August 2013

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stopped in for lunch during restaurant week. The Prix fix menu looked great but we were not that hungry. I ordered the raw Kale salad with a side of chicken. On the menu the salad was listed as "Raw Kale Salad, with parmesan and lemon". When the salad arrived it had three little slivers of what appeared to be a green pepper on top, I picked them off and placed them aside, the menu did not mention that the item had any peppers in it or that it was spicy, so I was not concerned, until I got a few bites into the salad, my mouth was burning. I do have a mild allergy to some peppers so I stopped eating the salad and waited until the waiter came to check on our items. When he came I told him the salad was too spicey, he sent the manager over and I asked him if the menu had mentioned that this item was spicey because I hadn't noticed it and I am normally careful because of my allergies. The manager said that the menu mentioned that the salad was garnished with hot peppers and that was the only possible source of the spicy falvour in the salad as the dressing was not spicy... I apologized for my error and he brought a new salad, this time with the dressing on the side. I tried a tiny bit of the dressing and sure enough it was very spicy. My sister ordered the same item (and she likes spicy things) and she said her mouth was burning as well, it was not just me. Needless to say I ate the rest of the salad with just a bit of olive oil. I double checked the menu when we got home and sure enough, it was not listed as having a pepper garnish or as being spicy, just simply - raw kale salad with parmesan and lemon. I don't have a problem with chefs making spicy food, if that is what they prefer, but I do have a problem with items not being labled as spicy. It also took a very long time for them to replace my salad, I had to remind them to bring me the chicken, which took forever. And the bread they gave us with our meal was burnt. I thought it was rye bread and that's why it was so dark, but it was actually very burnt. Needless to say, given the chef/proprieter I was expecting more.

NJ
“Mercer Burger is divine !!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Love Soho and had to try the Mercer Kitchen. Made a reservation and was seated promptly when I arrived. Ordered the Lychee Bellini and it was absolutely delicious. Drinks came quickly! I ordered the Mercer burger for dinner and it was the BEST burger I ever had. EVER. Cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. I am looking forward to coming back here very soon! Had a nice time, good atmosphere as well.

Princeton, New Jersey
“Does the "Von" realize?”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

On first glance, this cozy corner restaurant looked like it would have memorable food. Au contraire! My shrimp cocktail had tasteless shrimp and bland sauce that the extra bland horseradish on the side failed to jazz up. The main course of spiretti with basil-tomato sauce was lousy with a capital "L". My wife's split pea soup was lacking taste also.
The service was professional and efficient.
The food is an embarrassment for Jean-George.

• Visited August 2013
Hicham E, General Manager at The Mercer Kitchen, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Frank P,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our current menu. We are terrible sorry that our food did not meet your expectations. During your next visit to The Mercer Kitchen, please try some of our seasonal selections. We hope that we can have another opportunity to provide you with a memorable dining experience.

Kindest Regards,

Hicham (General Manager of The Mercer Kitchen)
Knysna, South Africa
“Great location lots of potential”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

A stunning location in SOHO. Large below ground space looking up at the glass bricks in the sidewalk. Very busy and vibrant. Most of the dishes ordered were excellent both in preparation and flavor combination. However, the mains arrived too quickly after a requested break in which the kitchen went ahead and prepared the food but then held it. A pity as this was an unneeded blemish in a great meal. The service was slow up front but on engaging this improved.
Definitely want to try again as has all the right elements.

• Visited July 2013
Hicham E, General Manager at The Mercer Kitchen, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Back_Road_Tours,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the food! I hope you will return in the near future and give us the opportunity to give you an excellent dining experience. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kind Regards,

Hicham (General Manager of The Mercer Kitchen)