“One of my favorite restaurants of all time”
Review of El Faro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I no longer live in NY, but have been going to El Faro with my family for over 40 years. I heard a terrible rumor that it has since closed, but I hope it is not true. Four generations in my family have dined there. The Chicken Villaroy and Lobster in White Sauce are tied for my favorite dishes there. I was last there in September of 2012. The tables are small and seating is tight. As a kid I was always fascinated by the working "dumbwaiter" that brought the food up from the kitchen in the restaurant's basement. I also enjoyed the house salad dressing and sangrias! The meals came with either saffron rice or home made potato chips. Great memories were made there. (As well as some not so great ones that had nothing to do with the restaurant itself, just the date I happened to be there with at the time.)

1  Thank William H

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Classic West Village spot, nice quirky bar, fast service. Good-size portions, excellent salsa verde, seafood, paella mariner and valenciana, and traditional Southern Spanish seasonings, aromas, and presentation. Not a fancy place, can be a long wait at times, weak wine list, but well worth the trip.

1  Thank Fast E
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Probably one of the longest running Spanish restaurants in NYC and for a good reason. The paella is reliably one of the best. One can actually taste the saffron in the rice.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Been eating here for about 10 years now for only one reason - the Paella. Love it love it and love it some more. For a group of 3 or more its a clear winner. Noisy close quarters dining atmosphere which makes it a fun place to go to. The Natilla is a must for desert too.

1  Thank Eric K
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We were introduced to this tiny and unimposing place by New Yorker friends and loved it. This is not for intimate fine dining or power lunches but is an authntic, crowded, and noisy family place serving authentic Galician and Northern Spanish seafood and awesome sangria. Our friend ordered ahead for awesome tortillas - omelettes - not Mexican and we had fantasticseafood stews of some sort. The Sangria is fantastic. It is crowded, and the kitchen is in the basement but the service is personal.

1  Thank MarcoPolodiNuovaYork