“delicioso”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The last time I visited the Village was in the 90's. What a great discovery at W10th and W4th streets. The pappardelle con gaciotta was delicious. My friends also enjoyed the meal, including one who had a specially prepared pasta dish because nothing on the fixed menu appealed to her. The service was good and our table was in the corner so we could watch the street scene as we dined. I would surely return for another meal.

There are newer reviews for I Tre Merli Bistro

Reviewed May 31, 2012

This tiny bistro has simply great food. If you are in the mood for brunch, they do a daily offering that is quite serviceable. But the rest of the menu is wear the restaurant shines. The boar ravioli is marvelous. I had no idea the favors would be that harmonious. I was genuinely sorry to see the plate empty. And virtually every piece of glass in the place opens, so on a pleasant day it's like dining al fresco.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I think they could shove me in a corner and make me eat standing on one leg and I would still come here for the Boar raviolis in a sage butter sauce. The flavor and textures are one of the best things I've ever eaten. Make a reservation and you won't have trouble getting a table. Otherwise it will depend on the night, it is a small restauarant and can get busy. The first time I went I stumbled across it while wandering around the Village with a friend. We ate at the bar which worked out fine, the bartender was very nice and found us a great wine to go with our meal (and house made limoncello for after!). Regardless of all that I had the raviolis and I was hooked. I will always go back here when I'm in the city. I've had many other dishes as well and they are all well prepared and authentic Italian. I love the cozy, festive ambiance of the place, soft lighting and rich colors. It all lends to a wonderful eating experience! Not over the top expensive either which is always a plus in the city.

Reviewed December 30, 2008

I am torn about my rating for i Tre Merli Bistro. Based on the food alone, I am inclined to grant it 4 stars. However, there were other aspects of my dining experience that are pulling my opinion down to 3 stars instead. I decided to opt for the lower of the two and let the reader decide...

Now, let me start at the beginning...This i Tre Merli location (there is a larger spot on West Broadway) lives up to its "Bistro" label with its cozy neighborhood feel. There is a sophisticated and stylish vibe among the international clientele. The bar appears to be crowded by dedicated patrons.

However, here is where the quaintness ends. The dining room is extremely tiny. In order for me to arrive at my seat, I had to climb over another chair, and squeeze between the table and window. I mean, I work out, but I do not expect to have my flexibility challenged when I am at a restaurant. Also, the server was extremely cold and rude, a personality unsuited for the local vibe. Lastly, we were greeted with dry, stale Italian bread. Since bread is a weakness of mine, this put a slight damper on the meal.

Everything started to look up when the food arrived, though. My tender Branzino was served as two large fillets draped over a mound of flavorful sauteed spinach. The fish was in a rich white wine sauce and was garnished with cooked grape tomatoes, capers, and olives. The sauce was a bit salty, but the dish was deliciously simple overall. My brother's Black Pasta was served with crisp shrimp and calamari, all in a spicy marinara sauce. The light, yet seasoned sauce added some flavor to what might otherwise be a standard dish.

These tasty courses can be enjoyed in decently large portions at very affordable prices ranging from $13-$30. I actually had a $10 off coupon that I asked the waitress to apply to the bill. Instead, she told me to just estimate the $10, and she would keep the coupon. Granted, the $10 off was easy to calculate and only neglected the effect on the meger tax, but it was just a weird response. Her condescending attitude did not help matters.

Alas, upon exiting the bistro, my klutzy self tripped over the neighboring table and into the door frame. Is a little comfort too much to ask for?

So, now you see my rating dilemma - 3 or 4 stars...? That is the question...You make the call.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook