“Some things very good, others, ordinary”
Review of Il Cantinori

Il Cantinori
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Cantinori is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,915 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: University Place & Broadway
Transit: 6, N, R
Brooklyn, NY
“Some things very good, others, ordinary”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a very popular neighborhood place with a high decibel rating. Service was very good and obliging. My risotto with lobster appetizer was fabulous. The Grouper with red sauce entre, much less so. The grouper was not succulent, as I had hoped, but cooked too long and the taste was cardboard. The vegetables were very good. My wife's shrimp scampi appetizer was not the traditional scampi we had been used to as the shrimp were grilled and there was only a trace of garlic. ok, but no cigar. My wife had the steak special which was very good. Desserts were ok but $14 for a few scoops of ice cream seemed too much. The cappucinos were excellent. A bottle of pelligrino was ten bucks!! The entire meal, including 2 glasses of champagne, 2 of wine and tip was $300.

• Visited October 2012

Glenview, Illinois
“Two very bad experiences”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Il Cantinori will never get our business - and I can't even say 'again'. I have to give a super negative review having never set foot in this establishment - so forgive me all of you who rave about their crab meat pasta and their grilled vegetables and other wonderful Italian dishes. I've never had, evidently, the privilege of tasting their food - and never will.

My wife and I planned a trip to NYC in Dec of 2011 for which we made a reservation 2 months in advance to dine here. My wife checked 3 days prior to departure - 4 days prior to our reservation - to make sure that the status of the reservation was still good. A lot of you in NYC will know they had a fire last year which closed the restaurant - but we didn't. So we scrambled around to find another place at the last minute to dine.

This year, for my birthday, my wife decided to do a one night weekend trip to NYC for us. She made another reservation for 9/29/12 - made it 4 months in advance. We got a phone message on 9/11/12 at home stating their apologies but they would have to cancel our reservation due to a benefit that had grown so large that they needed the entire restaurant - and so sorry for you.

Now a classy manager would have offered to set up a table in the kitchen for us - something other than "sorry". The only thing they offered was to give us a reservation on another night (my wife told the lady on the phone that we were flying in for one night specifically to dine at Il Cantinori Restaurant) or going to their sister restaurant, a Mediterranean theme, to which we said no thank you.

So I don't know who's list you have to be on to get any respect from this establishment - but fortunately for us there are many other fabulous eateries in NYC to enjoy and savor. Il Cantinori Restaurant will not be on that list for us anymore. It's their loss – because, thanks to the Internet, bad news has a way of traveling very very fast. I really hated clicking on the 1 star rating because this is technically a zero star rating.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Mike K
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent Restaurant Week Choice and Will Return During Regular Times”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went for NY Restaurant Week. It was a weekday and in the afternoon so there was no noise level to disrupt conversation. I don't know what it might be like when crowded. The restaurant is very pleasant,nicely laid out and decorated. The selections for restaurant week were very good. I had excellent sauteed chicken livers over salad greens as an appetizer. The chicken livers were wonderfully spiced and cooked just right so that they were not moist and not overdone. My entree was a delicious filet of sole in a garlic lemon sauce. Dessert was a good panne cotta. Going to restaurants during restaurant week is a great way to "test drive" different restaurants and decide if one will go back again during the year. This is a definite go back.

• Visited August 2012
Washington, DC
“Delicious Food, Outstanding Service and Staff!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My girlfriends and I recently visited NYC to celebrate my friend's engagement and go dress shopping. We made reservations at Il Cantinori and were so glad we did!

The staff was extremely friendly and entertaining throughout the entire meal. They paced the courses extremely well.

Two of us tried out the restaurant week menu. I tried the stuffed eggplant appetizer and then ventured on for the veal ravioli. Both were great. My friends ordered the fresh papardelle in a red sauce which was absolutely fantastic and the pasta was so fresh. We had a sampler for dessert of tiramasu, a hazelnut torte, and a flan-type custard. All were delicious.

I would come back here in a heart beat!

• Visited July 2012
New York
“Excellent Restaurant Week choice -- but beware of the noise!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We lucked into a quiet table here and had a fine Restaurant Week dinner here -- $35 a head for three courses. All the courses were well prepared and delicious, the service was good, and the rustic atmosphere was charming. At the regular prices, it might have been a little pricey for what it is.

The only issue is noise. We asked to be moved from our original noisy table and were seated at a very pleasant quiet table. To be sure, the table was right near the kitchen door, but it was worth it for the peace and quiet. In good weather, the front tables are open to the air and would probably be very good as well. But most of the restaurant, front and back, was quite noisy. The restaurant simply tries to crowd too many tables into the space. Unless restaurant noise doesn't bother you, either go at an off hour -- or get lucky with the table.

• Visited July 2012