“Great food experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th street & 9th Avenue
Transit: Take the A,C,E or L subway train to 14th Street & 8th Avenue. Use the 16th Street(8th Avenue)exit/staircase.
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Great atmosphere and the food is delicious - even if your jet lagged ;)
Hours will pass and you're still eating and drinking!
Great place

There are newer reviews for Matsuri

Reviewed February 14, 2012

The restaurant is located in the basement of the Maritime hotel in the fancy Chelsea district, the design is typically Japanese and the space is characterized by the high ceiling of the main room. I've been there with colleagues and I must admit that it is joyful to dine in a place like this.
The food was delicious, every single plate that we had was special. Lobster soup, salmon and a variety of other sashimi pieces. To end we dabbled in a little sake tasting which was eye opening.
Furthermore we discovered that the restaurant is a favourite spot for classy gorgeous models, so...what a lovely surprise! This was all on top of a beautiful array of waitresses Overall, if you are looking for great food and an exciting crowd, this is a great environment to chill in!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I went for restaurant week and had the block cod, it was delicious!

Reviewed November 16, 2011

Beautiful restaurant under the Maritime Hotel. Subtle lighting and beautiful lanterns created a great atmosphere. I was there with a party of 10 - we shared lots of dishes. I thought the sushi/sashimi was pretty standard, but other meat and fish dishes were delicious - so experiment a bit!
Beware of the included service charge - we ended up paying over $200 service. And they don't accept coins or give change..

Reviewed October 31, 2011

A wonderful decor just like stepping onto a movie of a japanese time gone by.. the staff had the enthusiasm of a jaded hooker in a red light district..and because of this I had to look several times around me to check I hadn't indeed stepped into a 'gentlemans club'. The food was poor( and as I have lived in Japan) didn't even measure up to a food stall on a Tokyo street.
Expensive and an awful experience!!!