“What an amazing find”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Anyone who thinks NYC is too large and impersonal has not discovered how to meet the people. Take Fedora Restaurant, a small west village spot that we found on a Saturday night. The place does not take reservations and when we arrived we were advised it would be a 15-20 minute wait. No problem, we ordered a glass of wine at the bar. The hostess came over to us in 5 minutes to get us a table. A small gratuity to say thanks was much appreciated. The service was beyond great! We tried some scrumptious appetizers. Particularly delicious were the mushrooms with a poached egg. The special tuna dumplings were crisp and tasty. Don't miss the fabulous Brussels as a side. My steak was outstanding and done medium rare as ordered. The scallops were more than plentiful and very flavorful. A side of cauliflower pancakes with maple syrup were over the top. The manager came to check if everything was ok, introduced himself and made us feel like VIP's. I cannot wait to return to this amazing little restaurant. If you are in NYC you owe it to yourself to dine at Fedora. If you are visiting, it is well worth the trip to the west village for this jewel. I sincerely thank the entire staff for a wonderful evening meal.

1  Thank WH_VIP

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Went with friends on a Tuesday night and the reataurant was very busy so ensure you book.
The food was hearty and delicious and the service was attentive.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I am very familiar with the esoteric code of “swank” that comes along with certain NYC establishments: the aloof hostess; the indifferent wait-staff; the Studio 54-ish clientele filter. That’s fine, and so long as 30 something windfall types invest in urban establishments, it will always exist…..but I just wanted to have a drink…maybe even…(shutter to think)..a few. When you walk into this “hip-joint” it looks like you want to have a drink….because there is a bar….where you drink? I was immediately informed by the freezing, automaton of a hostess that “there are bar reservations”, and asked “would I be eating?” “No, do I have to eat?” I replied, reeling from the infinite awkwardness. “While we don’t force people to eat, if you’d like to look at a menu I can offer you one.” While I waited for Rod Serling and a spinning vertigo-wheel to swish through the bar - I politely exited.

The bartenders in Fedora happen to be accommodating, fun, and down-right fantastic. I would rethink that whole “eat-or-die theme night”, however.

1  Thank nynewyorker1976
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Fedora was a great surprire in NY, we just walked in and was so lucky to find a table. We had great oysters, and both had fish place (salmon and Tuna), just delicious. The service was excellent too.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We ate here on a Monday night and had the place to our selves, the drink are great, the Black Squirrel is my favorite, the wine and wine list though are sub par and the food is quite average. I had the ribs which where greasy and the meat was lacking. Do yourself a favor have a cocktail here and head up to Extra Virgin for dinner.