“R.I.P. DoJo's”

Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
New York City, New York
“R.I.P. DoJo's”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I, who have been DoJo fans for decades, were saddened by it's recent closing but heartened to hear it would be re:opening post renovations. After many months it finally has re:opened--- well- something calling itself "DoJo's" has. DoJo's was an unpretentious place full of character(and characters) with a healthy, lovingly made, eclectic menu at reasonable prices. It attracted a wonderfully quirky NYC crowd whose main common bond seemed to be that they loved the place, the food, and the "come one come all" lack of pretense. Goodbye that DoJos' and hello waiters whose face asks you if you're hip enough to be in their company. The old, weathered wooden floors have been replaced by plastic faux wood flooring. The great old dark, wooden, classic bar, by some generic "wow and now" soulless stone topped affair. The food is exactly the skimpy portioned, overpriced nonsense you'd expect in such a place. I won't even get into the music blaring at you as you vainly try to sate either your appetite or palate. I left after eating my "meal" feeling sad and hungry. So I walked the few blocks to 12 Chairs and ordered their Grilled Chicken Salad both because I needed a decent dinner-- and wanted to assure myself there still were "real" eateries in NYC.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank 65roseland

Staten Island, New York
“Great food, Very reasonable prices”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My partner and I have designated Dojo as our "go-to" restaurant. They have a great variety of choices for many tastes and varied appetites and the prices are very reasonable.
Recently, we had family from out-of-town visiting us. They were very diversified in terms appetites. We had a vegetarian, a weight watcher, a serious carnivore, a fish eater and a person who doesn't like any vegetables. Everyone was very happy with their meal and the portions were generous. They insisted on paying for our meal and were prepared to spend considerably more than they did. They were pleasantly surprised - so much so that they also took us out for coffee and dessert later!
It's located near NYU and is favorite with students and faculty alike. Its comfortable and spacious and we rarely have to wait for a table.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Average tasting food...but it's cheap and fast”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I came here with some friends the other day for a quick bite to eat. It's not a Japanese restaurant, more a fusion type place. The food was very basic; my chopstick salad didn't have much flavor and was mostly watered down by the wet salad greens. I understand the appeal of this place if you're in a hurry and don't want to spend a lot on dinner, as the service was fast and the food was cheap. Under the same hurried circumstances I'd probably eat at Dojo again, but I certainly wouldn't make a special trip to go there.

• Visited July 2013
New York
“Mexican/American/Japanese Foods”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I love the airy openness of where I sat. It is a great place for people watching. The menu had a nice variety that would please a variety of people. I was amused to see Guacamole and Chips next to a burger/sandwich menus next to some ramen and yakisoba. I had the chicken yakisoba which was delicious! The portion was big enough for me to have two lunches. Definitely a must visit again.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank TheLadyWind
princes risborough, uk
“I love Dojo”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've been to Dojo's on many occasions for lunch and I love it. I almost always have the vegetable curry Don or the shrimp as I love this simple Japanese curry. My daughter often has one of the Mexican type dishes. Food and service is always good and it's very reasonably priced.

The first time I visited, I ordered what I thought was going to be a soft drink - pear and ginger. It turned out to be a cocktail. It was wonderful and I often ask for this now when I go there. it's a king of pear and ginger martini.

• Visited April 2013