“I love Dojo”

Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
princes risborough, uk
“I love Dojo”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've been to Dojo's on many occasions for lunch and I love it. I almost always have the vegetable curry Don or the shrimp as I love this simple Japanese curry. My daughter often has one of the Mexican type dishes. Food and service is always good and it's very reasonably priced.

The first time I visited, I ordered what I thought was going to be a soft drink - pear and ginger. It turned out to be a cocktail. It was wonderful and I often ask for this now when I go there. it's a king of pear and ginger martini.

Stoughton, Massachusetts
“For an excellent, filling meal on a budget, in New York, go to Dojo”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Dojo is at 14 West 4th Street at Mercer Street, and opens daily at 11 am. Our hotel was a cab ride away, but the prices at Dojo are so reasonable that it was well worth the cab fare to travel there. A family member was meeting us for a late breakfast, and we were among the first to arrive , just after the restaurant opened. The room we were in was spacious, and our table was by a window facing the sidewalk, just at the spot where the menu was posted for passersby to check out the offerings and the prices. I wondered if we were seated there so that those curious people could also see the generous portions on our plates, and realize that, at the prices listed, they were unlikely to find a better meal for miles. This restaurant has choices for meat-eaters, vegetarians, and vegans, and I ordered eggs, which came with a generous portion of home fries, and toast with butter and jam on the side. My husband ordered his eggs with meat on the side, and his meal also included potatoes and toast. Our son ordered French toast, which was three huge slices, and also a dish of sliced banana. I was the only one who finished everything on my plate: I couldn't help myself, it was so good!! The others enjoyed their food just as much as I did, but either had more self control, or not as much room. This restaurant is open until 1 AM, and 2 AM on Friday and Saturday, so no matter what time of day or night it is (after 11 AM) there is a place to get a terrific meal for less than half of what it might cost at a restaurant in Midtown. That place is Dojo's.

New Holland, Pennsylvania
“Delicious food for reasonable price”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Was in NYC for a long weekend trip with my husband. Took the subway to the 9/11 Memorial in the morning and then spent the rest of the day walking back to our hotel near Times Square and stopping at various sites along the way. Early afternoon we were hungry and looking for a place to eat when we came across Dojo. Thought it looked like a good place to stop so we headed inside. We got seated right away. It was quite loud when we arrived as there was a big table of people with one very, very loud woman. They all left about 20 minutes later and suddenly it was much quieter. That being said, I was surprised to see the restaurant was Japanese, but the menu was not. We ordered the nacho appetizer with, I believe, homemade corn chips, black beans, melted cheese, guacamole, and sour cream. It was soooo good. My husband got a burrito and I ordered the tuna salad. We both thought our meals were delicious. I can see why everyone raves over the carrot tahini dressing, it was superb. Our service was great too, the waitress was very attentive and friendly. And we were pleasantly surprised when the bill came and found that our food was very reasonably priced. As my first trip to NYC, hearing about how everything in NYC is more expensive, I was expecting to pay a lot more for every meal. But for the quality of the food, our bill was about what we'd pay eating at a diner back in our hometown, with food that wouldn't be near as good as Dojo's.

Cardiff
“Nice bar”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stopped for a few drinks at the bar while passing. I was pleasantly surprised. They had a happy hour from 3 until close and served Kirin Ichiban beer for $2.75, an absolute bargain. Barman was also very friendly. Might try the food next time as it looked very good.

• Visited March 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
“Perfect Hangout”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We enjoyed lunch here during a tour of NYU. Fast service, amazingly affordable prices, and delicious food makes this place a gem in the heart of Greenwich Village, and clearly a favorite with both students and faculty. The noodle soup was a huge bowl of noodles, veggies and chicken breast in a hearty miso broth, the french onion soup is also delicious. The tuna salad was the perfect blend of crunchy celery, mayo and tuna without being watery or sweet.

• Visited March 2013