“Okay, but nothing special ambiance or food-wise”
Review of Mesa Grill - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 15th and 16th Street
Transit: N,R,4,5,6,F,V trains to Union Square
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We're big Bobby Flay fans and had heard good things about this restaurant. We expected to be impressed by his attention to details. Sadly, we did not experience anything extraordinary during our dinner at this restaurant. The food quality was average and the prices are high ($300 for party of 4 with tip). For this kind of tab, I would expect more as far as the food quality, presentation, and overall restaurant experience. We wouldn't rave about it to others and likely won't go again. There are too many other top notch restaurant options in NYC.

There are newer reviews for Mesa Grill

Reviewed December 21, 2012

My family of 5 had an excellent brunch at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill last Sunday. We made a reservation in advance, and were seated promptly upon our arrival. We started with delicious (but rather thick) spicy Bloody Mary's or Margaritas. The the most wonderful basket of breakfast breads arrived - we had yellow and blue corn muffins, dark chocolate scones, cheesy jalapeno bites and something else (I can't remember). The scones were the absolute hit of the group! Then we shared the crispy bacon and hash brown quesadilla appetizer/starter. DELICIOUS! I could have eaten a whole one by myself! For entrees we had a variety of things...all delicious and worth having again. I had scrambled eggs chilaquiles, husband has sirloin steak and eggs, my boys had the ranch style eggs tostada and daughter had sweet potato hash and chicken with poached eggs. All unique and delicious. Everything has a southwestern flair to it with interesting spices and flavors.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was my second experience at Mesa Grill, and I remember it being better.

There were 5 of us and we had a reservation for 8:45...we didn't get seated until 9:20.
We ordered drinks and the margaritas are just great. Just don't ask to make them spicier...it confuses them (we eventually asked for jalepenos to be muddled and added, which worked satisfactorily).

I had the chicken, which was good but nothing was immediately impressive, aside from the drinks. It was hot in the upper section and we frequently noticed it.

The service was decent, but nothing to write home about (and yes, I see the irony as I mention it).

All in all, I just really wasn't as impressed as I was the first time. As a real new yorker, who's been to some great restaurants, this place has gotten way too big for itself. Union Square has some amazing restaurants. Try Union Square Cafe instead--that place has been a staple in Union Square and despite being popular, still retains that great New York restaurant feel.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I'm an avid viewer of the Food Network, and made it a point to get to a Bobby Flay restaurant while in town. The service was very courteous and efficient. Food was FABULOUS! My wife had the pork tenderloin entree and I had the rabbit. Both were unbelievably good. The shrimp appetizer made me think I must be dining in Heaven. If our selections were representative of the entire menu, you can't go wrong here.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Exceptional attentive and responsive service. Food was good, you need to appreciate the style of cuisine, it has certain tang and spice. Only issue was the fries were to salty to eat- they happily replaced them for a lighter version but still found them salty. I'll eat there again.