“Consistently superb”

Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 15th and 16th Street
Transit: N,R,4,5,6,F,V trains to Union Square
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I love this restaurant. It is more casual than Bar Americain, but the food is just as wonderful,with multi-dimensional flavor profiles, and food as beautifully prepared as any restaurant anywhere, period. We went for brunch, of all meals. (I've been here before at other times of the day). What a great choice! The crude tuna nachos were heavenly (I could have eaten 5 orders by myself), the chile relleno crisp, rich, light, piquante. The blue corn waffle with blackberries and a sweetened creme fraiche(?) with ample real maple syrup was CRISP outside, tender inside, flavorful, and perfectly made. The bread basket was wonderful as well, and it came with a jalapeno vinegar jam. I have to thank Bobby Flay for making this menu so accessible to vegetarians! Times have increasingly changed, and so many restaurants have "upped the ante" or followed the trend by adding bacon, or lardons, or speck, or pancetta to absolutely everything, including desserts and cocktails! (which if they didn't realize it spoils the whole experience, or should I say possibility of even having the experience for those of us who won't eat meat, because we usually read menus online before going to a place, and many restaurants have fallen off the radar screen as a result). But Bobby has so many things on this menu that not only I can eat, but long to eat, and will come back for time and again, that I thought it was worth a big thank you from me for your great choices. Don't get me wrong, if you want meat, or chicken you have ample selection as well. In fact on both sides of us people ordered meat--to the right the two people both had the hamburger, and to the left a big side order of bacon was present.The entire experience at Mesa Grill was pleasing and delightful from start to finish. We ordered sticky toffee puddingto share for dessert, and I would have added another scoop of ice cream to the plate, in order to cut the incredible richness of everything else--I ordered milk which tends to do the same thing. One of these desserts could easily satiate 4 people due to its dense condensed milk goodness. A suggestion might be to add something really crisp, and maybe spicy to give some counterpoint to the dish--maybe a jalapeno brittle or something equivalent? Never mind me and my suggestions--just GO.

There are newer reviews for Mesa Grill

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Much better than his Bar American. Very good service. The price was quite high for the value. Another one of those one time restaurants in NYC.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Loved brunch here. The celebrity chef touches were everywhere - from the jalapeno biscuits to the corn muffin to the superbly tasty food. A little crowded but this is New York City :)

2  Thank Neem_neem
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We at at this restaurant for brunch as part of our famous chef's tour of NYC. We arrived early for our reservation...really early...but were seated very quickly. Service was great. I had the smoked salmon. It was tastey. Enjoyed very much!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have been to the Mesa Grill in Las Vegas and New York before and loved it. I recently traveled back to New York with a group of friends and recommended that we all go to Mesa Grill. Unfortunately, the experience was very disappointing and we won't be going back. Despite making a reservation a month in advance, we still waited an hour for our table. When we finally got seated, there were no apologies (or token offerings) from the folks looking after us. We had appetizers, mains and dessert and honestly none of it was very memorable. Much of it was cold when it came out. Perhaps the best thing we had was the corn bread. Not sure what happened that night, but it was not the great restaurant I had been at before.