“Well Worth It!”

Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 15th and 16th Street
Transit: N,R,4,5,6,F,V trains to Union Square
Reviewed October 31, 2007

On my first trip to NYC, I made several reservations to restaurants that had been recommended to me. Mesa Grill was not only recommended to me by friend, but being a Bobby Flay fan, I knew I really wanted to dine there. The restaurant was cleverly decorated and it had a very cool, big city atmosphere; however I did not feel intimidated to be there. The bar was packed and every table was full. My party had an 8:30pm reservation, which I recommend.
The food was excellent! The menu was definitely different, but I expected that, and enjoyed it! I personally had the 16 Spice Chicken and thought it was delicious. The rest of my table had the venison and the lamb. All raved about their choices. We also split two salads, and found them to be incredible.
They had a nice wine selection and a good bar. We tried their margaritas on recommendation from our waitress, and, yes, they were good, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend the restaurant just for the drink (although the margaritas are what they claim as their speciality).
The service was OK. Not great, but not bad either. Everyone was extremely knowledgeable, but not overly friendly (that didn't really bother me. I just happened to notice).
All in all it was a wonderful experience. It was well worth the price and the effort to get over to the restaurant.
I think you'll really enjoy this restaurant if you like a hip crowd and atmosphere, and enjoy your favorite foods with a creative spin.

2  Thank kpthetravelgirl

Reviewed September 8, 2007

Im 49 years old and have been going to restaurants in the tri state area since im 17. My husband and I figured we have been out to dinner at least 2000 times. I took some friends of mine to this mess they call a grill. First it was very hot, we asked to turn up the A.C. no can do. Our table was upstairs, tried to have it changed, no can do. Appetizers were small and not very good. My lamb came and I noticed it was overcooked but didn't say anything. Then I heard my friend say that he cant eat his lamb because its to rare for him. They mixed up our orders. Inexcusable for a restaurant like this. The filet was dry and the size of a meatball. That sixteen spice chicken with some kind of sweet potato tamale was horrible. Believe me everything was small and dry. Even the desserts were bad. Another lady on this site said that her local restaurant is better, I say there are a THOUSAND local restaurants better than this. Now you have to trust me, don't blow this review off, this place is really, really bad.

2  Thank ItalianGold
Reviewed August 17, 2007

The menu is average, the ambiance is average for a nice restraunt in NYC, and the food overall I thought was above average but not excellent, for the money one can certainly find a better restraunt in NYC.

Reviewed August 7, 2007

This was our first time here and we dined with my Aunt-a native east coast resident who has been several times. She was equally excited to join us for dinner as we were to dine here. The food is very delicious. We all tried appetizers with our meals and some cocktails. We did not try the desserts but everything that went into my mouth was delectable. I had the blackened chicken with mango salsa and the squash blossom appetizer. The flavors were beautifully balanced and simply delicious on my palate. Next time in town this is a definite stop! The service was excellent and very prompt and courteous. Overall an extremely enjoyable experience.

Reviewed July 11, 2007

I have visited in Manhattan a dozen or so times for business or pleasure and always enjoy dining in restaurants that I haven't previously tried. The Mesa Grill was so good that I know I'll have to return again and again.

Bobby Flay kept quite a bit of the original 19th-century architectural design in the physical building and then used a southwestern color scheme. The combination creates a unique, charming and cozy atmosphere.

His menu also combines the traditional with contemporary, unique twists. I can be a little bit picky and don't enjoy trying strange, new foods. Although I was skeptical about some of his ingredient combinations, believe me...he knows what he's doing.
Everything we ate was amazing.

Also....do NOT pass on dessert! My dining partner and I agreed that the desserts were the perfect end to our meal - very light and not too sweet.

Mesa Grill is not inexpensive but will definitely provide a meal to remember.

2  Thank texaswildflower