“Busy, loud, but good food and spirits”
Review of Markt

Markt
Reserve with OpenTable
Markt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,205 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 21st Street
Transit: The F, V and PATH at 23rd Street.
“Busy, loud, but good food and spirits”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our party of 6 had reservations. We all arrived early and we were given the option to sit early, but we chose to catch up and have drinks first - and our table was saved. We shared 2 buckets of mussels to start - delish. Not a dud in the batch - and lots of broth to dunk. Entrees were all very good as was the 3 shared desserts.

Place was very crowded and loud - but that's what we expected from a popular Belgian bistro. Good time enjoyed by all.

• Visited February 2013

• Czech first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“I would rate this place lower if i did not love belgian food as much as i do”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I do not apreciate or understand why restaurants serving very good food try to adapt there food to local taste. As much as i enjoyed the food in markt restaurant during previous visits i am realy disapointed what the food tasted like this time .My guests and myself still enjoyed the best beers in the world made in Belgium but the food as presentation of the food made me wonder. Andives salad was as good as always and salad dressing typical belgian , shrimp salad cocktail looks ridiculous and tastes like ..... , several pieces of shrimp to be dipped in two different sauces this is for sure not the shrimp salad as served in belgium and also and even more important not the same taste. Main course we all had stooflees i believe they call it vlaamse carbonades in markt restaurant. This beef meat slow simmered in dark ale belgian beer used to be perfectly made and eating it enjoying the light bitter beer taste with the tender beef was fantastic during my visit yesterday i tought that i was eating brisket. Meet was tender but very sweat and i totaly missed the bitter taste of belgian beer it was coocked in. I as my guests left very . I just hope management will soon realise the mistake they have made and will return to classical belgian coocking.

• Visited January 2013
South Orange, New Jersey
“Good for Business Breakfast”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Markt is smart restaurant with good service and good food. It's wonderfuly suited for business breakfasts downtown where good business breakfast options are limited. The crowd is business aligned but not in a mid-town investment-banker formal way, more union square-tech/investor-downtown real estate developer style. The food is savory Belgium hearty and the service is friendly and quick.

Visited January 2013
Marshall, Virginia
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Wandered in for a business lunch with a colleague. The neighborhod is mostly chain restaurants and we walked around several blocks before we found this restaurant. It a Belgian Brasserie, the only one I have ever seen outside Belgium.

We shared the Pate Maison, I had Carbonades flamandes,. My colleague order the Onion Soup and Salade Liègeoise. Everything was perfect.

They have about six different types of Mussels and I want to try them all. I have a rule about eating Mussels and flying on the same day, those of you that have ever had a bad mussel know why.

The beer selection is classic Belgian and Im anxious to go back to NY next week and make another visit for Belgian beer and mussels.

Ill be back.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ReadyToGoHome
New York City, New York
“Small yet OK”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

It used to be a log bigger in size at another location - this location is so tiny and they put some tables outside of not that clean street (very crowded in Chelsea). This place is very nicely decorated. Its small bar is not bad - just not large enough.

Their bread basket has lots of carbohydrate items - main dish is OK. Many seem to be there for Garlic Mussels. I had better ones in Belgium - so you have the idea.

Many locals enjoy brunch or/and quick meals there on the way out. I think this is one of the least touristic place.

• Visited October 2012