“Excellent Caribbean Food”
Review of Negril Village

Negril Village
Reserve with OpenTable
Negril Village is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,988 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Between LaGuardia Place and Thompson Street
Transit: A, B, C, D, E, F & V trains to West 4th Street.
Description: Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, Negril Village promises to entertain your soul as well as your palette in a hip & classy environment. The latest installment in the Negril chain specializes in Nu Caribbean cuisine or what is dubbed “New York Savvy Caribbean cuisine”. The menu embraces the cooking styles and techniques of destinations such as Trinidad (i.e. Chicken Roti), Puerto Rico (i.e. Island Paella), and of course Jamaica (i.e. Jerk Chicken and Ackee). Set on two levels, the restaurants décor can be described as contemporary yet natural. The spacious dining room, on the upper level, boasts bamboo floors and seashell lined walls; while the Rhum lounge, on the lower level, warms you with its raisin interior, red lacquer floors, and in-house DJ. Live Reggae, Calypso, and Latin bands will further enchant you as you sip one of Negril Village’s many tropical drinks.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I always go to Negril's when I visit NY for work. This time I happened to be spending the day with my family that had never been here. Everything we ordered tasted fantastic!!! The jerk chicken was great but their oxtails stew is the best that I've eaten in any restaurant. I can't rave about this restaurant enough. You have to taste it to believe it.

There are newer reviews for Negril Village

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Loved the atmosphere.. Young and trendy people. Couldnt get a seat on time even though we asked to prebook and was told we could just turn up... Turned up, but had to wait for about 25mins

Meanwhile at the bar, the barman had never heard of a virgin colada... Joker! In the wrong business... I asked for a Coverssiuer XO.. just poured a brandy... Could have just said he didnt hear my request.

Asked for a 2nd helping of virgin colada... It never arrived... Those little things matters folks! Step up your game...

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Coming from a jamaican background, when I go to a Caribbean restaurant, I hate to say it but when it comes to service I've resolved to keeping my expectations low. Because the food is usually so good, I've come to overlook that issue and its normally forgotten by the time the meal is done as all the focus just becomes about my belly. So I was pleasantly surprised when I came here during a recent trip from London to New York. We found it completely by accident wandering the streets looking for a store, and promised to come back on the Sunday for a meal, and it was well worth the trip. We came for the Sunday Brunch menu. We had the ackee tostones and jerk wings for starters. Both Unbelievably good and only made me wish I'd ordered double the ackee tostones... I'm fussy about my ackee and plantain but both were perfectly ripe and cooked to perfection with minimal oil. The entrees we had were chicken roti and oxtail. Both were so tender, freshly made and the callalloo that came with the oxtail tasted like someone had picked it out the back only a few hours before! There was no room for any more food as the portions were more than generous. We didn't have to wait long for the food to come out and the staff were attentive and made sure everything was ok without being too intrusive on our conversation. The bathrooms were clean contrary to what I've read in other reviews! the n,y downside being that they were just a touch too far away from the main dining area. i liked the special touch with the steel pan musician playing while we ate. my only criticism if you can call it that would be that, as much as we all agree we love him, the amount of Bob Marley playing on the cd made it feel a little bit touristy, but its the only criticism i could come up with an its a pretty weak one! i would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and wish to thank the staff for a lovely accidental Sunday Brunch - 10 out of 10 for service!

1  Thank 0AD0
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The food is interesting, with goat stew very unusual. But, the place was dirty, the bathrooms filthy, and a sign on the wall when you enter says they reserve the right to search for weapons. We had drinks, but decided against eating there because of the above. Good and very strong, but tasty, local mojitos.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Deeply disappointed had been to Negril's many times before...This time I wasn't happy with the service. The sampler wasn't complete, the order was slow in coming out plus the food was cold, the shrimp were grill to much so the were dry, as well as the rice and peas. The chef was very much off on this day they missed the mark. I was raven to a family member from out of town how great this place is, needless to say they weren't impressed. The waiter apologized along with a discount of 10% still the damage was already done. Can't say that I'll be back. Very, very, very Disappointed!!!!!

glenn h/