“A Pleasant Surprise”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bowery and Lafayette
Transit: Take the F V B or D Trains to the Broadway & Lafayette stop, or 6 Train to Bleecker.
Description: Mediterranean fine dining at Il Buco in New York is a true gourmet experience. A fusion of Italian and Spanish flavors blends to create seasonal delicacies and handmade artisanal pastas. With an award-winning wine list, critically acclaimed Il Buco serves up sublime tapas-style dishes and entrees in a homely dining room with country-style charm.
Montvale, New Jersey
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had never gone to Il Buco before and decided to try it. It was surprisingly good. The atmosphere is very casual and you feel like you are sitting in a country kitchen. The food was prepared perfectly and all ingredients are natural including the tonic in my drink. I would definitely go back.

• Visited June 2013

• Hebrew first
England
“Fabulous - great food, fun buzzy vibe”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went here for a late dinner with a great friend who loves this place - and now we do too!! Fabulous food - you MUST order the crispy artichokes (yum yum yum) and the salted caramel ice cream is to die for! Lovely buzzy vibe, friendly service - and it also has a wonderful deli (with especially delicious bread!). HIGHLY recommended!!

2 Thank AndieH
Las Vegas, Nevada
“"Enjoying being out of my element"”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

First a disclosure; I am not a “foodie.” I was born and raised in Kansas in the ‘40’s and 50’s, where the rule was: “If it didn’t eat grass or grain, you didn’t eat it.” In order to have “seafood,” you have to have a sea, and we didn’t put “weeds” in our salad. About as adventuresome as we got was to chop up a radish and sprinkle it on our Safeway Iceberg lettuce. And, the only “sauces” I came in contact with were called Gravy!

Life and travel have broaden my culinary prospective, but not much. I’ve eaten many places the critics have said were spectacular and the only thing I found spectacular was the price. So it was with this life experience I entered Il Buco at 47 Bond Street, in the NOHO region of New York City. Even if they had totally run out of food, I knew it would be a wonderful evening as my dinner companion was the extremely talented and equally charming jewelry designer Jill Platner. (www.jillplatner.com)

Il Buco is a unique place. I’ve never been to Italy, but I imagine an Italian country kitchen would remind one of Il Buco. Although there was a lot of stuff all over the place, it wasn’t cluttered, it was fascinating, I loved the place at first sight. But, oh yeah, this is a restaurant, not a museum so let’s talk about the food.

As I knew I was out of my element, I turned the ordering over to Jill. I had warned her of my pedestrian pallet and “to be gentle.” With this in mind, she began with ordering a selection of their “Spring Appetizers,” these are Tapas style portions intended to be shared around the table for all to enjoy. As we awaited our appetizers, our wonderful server saw to it that our glasses of sparkling white wine were never empty.

The first selection was a presentation of sushi style fish called “Crudo.” I suspected it was uncooked, but I tried it anyway; I won’t lie to you, I am not destined to be hanging out at the “All you can eat,” Sushi joint not far from my house in Las Vegas. But, I got cudos for trying the Crudo. Next came “Cavolonero” a Tuscan Black Kale with a garlic-anchovy-lemon vinaigrette. Again, as the only Kale I have ever seen near food was the decorative Kale lining the buffet of one of our casinos, I was suspicious. Ah, but Tuscan Black Kale, while perhaps of the same botanical family was a delicious treat and certainly not just for decoration. It was one of the best salads I have had in any restaurant. The dressing was light but with enough “zing,” to make the salad memorable.

Jill also ordered a dish just for me;” Salsiccia,” a house made heritage pork sausage, Umbrian beans and charred spring onions. Wow, I could not have been more impressed. I understand these sausages are made on the premises from organic heritage pork. If I had a way to get them back to Nevada, I would have ordered a couple of pounds of them; they were incredibly delicious!

Next came the main course, my guest had grilled whole Spanish Dorade, confit fingerling potatoes and preserved lemon-olive-almond relish. Jill let me have a sample of her Dorade, and at the risk of losing my fishless mid-westerner standing, that thing was delicious! I chose the Porchetta which featured Flying Pigs Farms heritage pork, Umbrian lentils, swiss chard, grain mustard, Yum! This brings up something special about Il Buco, All of their meat and poultry comes from local farms and is raised naturally without the use of hormones or antibiotics. Likewise, their produce is grown using sustainable farming practices, without the use of pesticides or herbicides. So, dining at Il Buco is not only good food, it is food that is good for you and the Earth. I thought that was pretty cool and made me feel better about having desert.

When you are in NYC, make a point of dining at Il Buco, you will love it! You don’t have to be a Foodie to enjoy Il Buco, I am living proof of that. The service matched the food and frankly I thought, given their attention to quality, the prices were very reasonable. When in NYC, I will return to Il Buco!

1 Thank Michael B
Pensacola, Florida
“One of my favorite restaurants in the city”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've been going to the place for 16 years and its always great food. You need to make a reservation. They have an incredible wine list and the menu is always what's fresh at the market that morning. So, the menu is a few choices in each area. The decor is very eclectic and you might be sitting other people. Great atmosphere. The sister restaurant around the corner is in many respects as good, although the decor differs somewhat.

• Visited January 2013
New Jersey
“Amazing unexpected gem”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Looked for a Mother's Day venue in Noho area after a show at the Public Theater and found Il Bucolic which looked nice on line but really didn't know what to expect. This block of Bond Street is the epicenter of a revolution taking place in Noho/Bowery area with a mix of fascinating old and new architecture, stores, and restaurants.
The venue is rustic country Italy with an amazing subterranean wine cellar used as a dining spaced which is literally lined, caved and roofed with the extensive wine collection of reasonably priced, mostly European wines and a pleasant, knowledgeable Brazilian sommelier to help guide you through the large list.
The food is wonderful, from rustic country bread with full throated olive oil, to homemade pastas, fresh fish and meats.
For a dining experience, non-airbrushed or glossed over, Il Buco delivers on all levels.
By the way, we were a large party of ten including two active young children and were well managed by the staff in the wine cellar.