“Great Find!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm always skeptical of places recommended by the hotel front desk, usually it's just a paid advertisement, but six of us (adults) ate here over the weekend and it was truly a very good restaurant. Very very good italian food - just slightly fancy, but in a very comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. I wouldn't hesitate to return again, or recommend it to friends. I found it to be a great little local neightborhood restaurant, truly a lucky find. The wait staff was professional but very friendly, liked to joke around with us and get us laughing. We enjoyed appetizers and entrees, along with several of the wine selections. Everything was well prepared and well portioned (not too much or too little), and struck the perfect balance between "fancy" and "comfort" food. From escargot, to carpaccio, to pasta and seafood, everyone of us really enjoyed not just the food, but the entire experience here.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We enjoyed our evening here. The food was good. My husband had escargot which he enjoyed as they came 'shell off' and I had egg plant parmesan. For our main courses we enjoyed shrimp and calamari ragout which was tasty and lobster crab cakes served with a very hot home-made jalapeno mayonnaise and accompanied by steamed vegetables and creamed potatoes. We decided to have dessert as we're on holiday and these did not disappoint, delicious ricotta cheesecake and cinnamon ice cream.

Overall it was a very pleasant evening with good food, well priced drinks and pleasantly attentive but unobtrusive staff.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

While staying in Chelsea for two days on business, I walked up to this quite pleasant neighborhood Italian restaurant. I was there relatively early on a Friday evening, so can't say what it is like at a peak time, but I found the food and the service to be more than fine and the prices reasonable. I had a well-prepared order of old-school Shrimp Scampi. The shrimp were butterflied and cooked just right, with an excellent balance of seasonings, lemon and butter, accompanied by steamed veggies and a starch. Service was casual but attentive and I did not feel hurried even though I was dining alone and they were beginning to get busy toward the end of my meal. You would not go far out of your way to stop here, but if you are in the neighborhood you would do yourself a favor to dine at this solid and unassuming trattoria.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

They were very busy with neighborhood types, so maybe I should give them the benfit of the doubt, but on the one night that I was there, they gave us a house salad that was very routine, a "lobster ravioli" (the "lobster" could have fooled us) drenched in Chef-Boyardee-quality tomatoes sauce, calamari which was all right but not better than all right. At least it was reasonably priced. .

Reviewed February 14, 2013

There are probably more bad Italian restaurants in New York than in the whole of Italy. You know the kind of place i mean.....tired pasta,tough veal and teeming with tourists! Not at Restivo!
I was working and staying in Chelsea in November and December. This is a location where you are spoiled for choice when it comes to eating out. With all those options at our disposal we ended up eating at Restivo at least once every week.
This is the kind of neighborhood Italian you hope you're going to find in New York. It's not fancy and has no aspirations of winning a Michelin star but it is warm,welcoming,full of character and great value for money.It has a limited menu with daily specials and very reasonable house wine.
We were never less than delighted with our food, the service and the atmosphere. After a few visits you begin to feel like a native.The Irish Repertory Theater is just up the street and it seems to be their favorite place after shows,so you can have fun spotting the stars.
Do yourself a favour and get acquainted with Restivo. We can't wait to go back.