“Well-priced and good.”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This place is in an ideal location, just a couple blocks down from Union Square and one block over from The Strand. I've been here a handful of times, and I've always left rather happy. I'm allergic to anything in the red pepper family, so the fact that they've never almost killed me (LOL) is good.

Portions are large, I'm a fan of the chile rellenos. My husband eats meat, and--well--he gets the crunchy tacos and anything beef. Can't say we've had a bad meal there, but do be warned that the staff can be a little absent minded (as you might have to ask twice for your bill, and sometimes they seam air-headed when not). Just smile, and it will all work out.

Though, the ladies room, on the second floor, is a classic NYC one. There's two stalls, and one requires nearly everyone to turn sideways to get inside.

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I can't believe what a bad day I had here. I have frequented this place a number of times & it had become one of my Happy Hour favorites but apparently my patronage was unwanted.
I walk in grab a table b4 I realize my mate was stopped at the door and not allowed in with his laptop bag unless he checked it. All the patrons in the place had their coats & bags on the backs of their chairs but we were singled out & asked to check our belongings. I've NEVER been told I had to b4. Then one of the waitresses was just going off in Spanish not realizing that I speak Spanish as well. Asked me for ID... LoL . I appreciate the compliment but I'm almost 50... Seriously I'm sure I don't pass for a 20 year old even in the dark. That also had NEVER happened b4.
The only reason why I give them 2 stars is because normally its a great place to go but shame on them for treating me that way on this snowy evening. It wasn't even crowded. All I wanted to do was spend some money & unwind after a day of work. Management listened but was unapologetic. I guess I wasn't worth it. Shame, shame, shame!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

El Cantinero is a well-located (just 2 blocks south of Union Square) very pleasant restaurant with authentic Mexican music, interesting and lively decorations, good food and generally excellent service. The food is very reasonably priced, especially before 5 pm when one drink is also included with the reduced price for food. If you like a less crowded and noisy atmosphere before 6 pm is also best. If you want a more drink-oriented higher volume atmosphere after 6 and upstairs is best. In warm weather they have a nice outdoor deck.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My son and I have eaten at this restaurant several times over the past few years. It is reasonably priced for NYC. The food is very good. They have a dessert, fried ice cream, that is absolutely delicious. We will continue to eat at this restaurant. The service is just OK.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

For 4 of us all eating a big plate of food and a pitcher of sangria it was good to come up to $60, but I was a little disappointed that the enchiladas weren't as good as my nan's! :-O

The service was really good - they kept our glasses topped up with water and sangria, until we finished eating that was...

I'd go back but maybe try something different.