“Tello's Chelsea review” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tello - CLOSED

Tello
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 20th Street
Transit: C/E to 23rd Street 1 to 18th Street
Description: Lit with candles and chandeliers, this cozy place has such a wonderful old-world feel that you may think you've walked onto the set of a Martin Scorsese film. A helpful staff serves up hefty portions (light on price) of well prepared Italian fare. Pasta is cooked al dente every time and the seafood is plentiful and fresh.
“Tello's Chelsea review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I really like this place. They have a great pasta primavera dish and the prices are reasonable. Staff is pleasant and good ambiance. One can eat inside or out on the sidewalk on 20th or 8th Avenue.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fromnyctofll

Los Angeles, CA
“Good Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

The food and service were excellent. The music could have been a little lower. It made it difficult to hear each other. I especially recommend the roast duck.

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Visit Italy in Chelsea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere was quaint and actually sort of romantic even though I was just there with a friend. The candle light was relaxing and intimate. I chose the seafood pasta (I can't remember the exact name but it was a combination of various seafoods) and it was quite good. My friend chose the eggplant parmesan and also liked the dish! The service was good and the location in Chelsea is walking distance to bars if you would like a drink afterwards. I would definitely go back. Perfect place for a date or just catching up with friends!

1 Thank klasallejr
New York City, New York
“Salty food, rude owner, good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

4 of us for dinner w coupons which owner wasn't kind enough to seat us near each other even though place was 1/2 empty, wait staff very attentive, calamari great, everything else too salty,

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Sauce, Okay Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had Tello's on a Sunday night. We had been to a Broadway show and hopped on the A/C/E and got to the restaurant by 10:30. We knew they were open until midnight because we checked to make sure before going there. The restaurant was pretty empty and only one other table was occupied. The host standing outside brought us in and gave us the menus, letting us know they had a Prix Fixe (but it was only until 7pm so we couldn't actually order it) and 2 for 1 drink specials/Happy Hour. We rarely drink but it seemed like a good deal so we looked the menu over. The waiter came over and informed us that we needed to order right away because they were closing soon. I was confused at first because 1) It was only 10:30 and 2) Why would you greet someone by telling them that? He walked away and kept coming back over and over to see if we were ready, but we weren't, and we did NOT want to be rushed. Finally we ordered two drinks and he told us we needed to order 2 per person to get the deal, so we said we would think about it a little longer. I already knew what I wanted because I checked the menu out online, but I was still thinking about the drinks. When he came back again I asked him (just to verify) what time they were closing and he tried to act nicer and said something about how they weren't closing right away, which just made it seem even more unnecessary for him to even bring it up. Anyway, we decided to order classic mojitos and got 2 each so we could do the 2 for 1 deal. They were yummy but had way too much mint in them and it was overpowering. I had to take the mint out and also add some water to make it taste less strong. The alcohol wasn't too strong tasting, just the mint. I ordered the Tello's Favorite Gnocchi e Braciole which was absolutely delicious and my boyfriend got the 3 Cheese Gnocchi which was okay. I loved the marinara sauce on mine and the meat was pretty good too. The bread was your typical crusty bread with butter but I didn't eat any. He brought our second mojitos eventually and the mint was strong again, so I took it out again. It was different than other mojitos I've had, they usually have just a hint of mint and less leaves in the glass.
I was originally going to get dessert (I love to try tartufo any time a place has it) but I decided against it as I just wanted to get out of there after the first comment about them closing. No one else came in while we were there, which made me wonder why they were trying to rush out the only customers they did have. The waiter got a bit nicer after a while, and our water was refilled constantly which was nice, by another guy/busboy who was super attentive. We used a $25 Restaurant.com gift certificate which made the bill pretty cheap, and we tipped the proper amount on the total before the certificate was taken off, even though we weren't sure he really deserved the full tip.
Overall, the food was good, especially the tomato sauce. The service wasn't the worst I've ever had in New York City, but it wasn't great. I understand if a customer comes into a restaurant 30 minutes before closing and expects to sit around all night, but my boyfriend and I always come and go quickly at restaurants and had come in plenty of time. It would have been nice for him not to mention the fact that they were closing, but oh well, and he didn't treat us too badly for using a gift certificate like some places do. Since we didn't want dessert we ended up at Pinkberry a couple blocks south, which was open really late for a Sunday, and it was delicious, and it was nice to sit outside and enjoy that instead of being pressured to leave like at Tello's.

• Visited August 2013