“Trendy, great service but Very Spicy!”
Review of Spice Market - CLOSED

Spice Market
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: 9th Avenue
Transit: A,C,E,L train to 8th Avenue
Description: Highlighted in the national and local press, Spice Market, on the corner of 9th Avenue, is inspired by the street food that Jean-Georges Vongerichten enjoyed while traveling in Asia. Authentically uplifted versions of flavourful street foods are served family-style, with dishes arriving continuously throughout the meal for all to share. Spice Market also offers corporate and social dining for large groups in the restaurant, lounge, and intimate, semi-private alcove rooms.
“Trendy, great service but Very Spicy!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

They're not kidding when they call the place "Spice Market." I knew it would be the usual "we can make it not spicy" then it is spicy. Well, that's what happened here. So, if you really want to avoid Spice, don't go to the Spice Market! If you love exciting flavors, spicy food and great service in a trendy, expensive NYC restaurant, Spice Market is for you.

• Visited May 2014
403SpiceMarket, Guest Relations Manager at Spice Market, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Janis L
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your Spice Market experience. I am happy to hear you found the service, atmosphere and location very good. Following your comments relating to the food, I can only apologize that the dishes were not to your taste and too spicy. I hope this experience does not deter you from returning to Spice Market and should you wish to return, please contact me personally on mburgstaller@ny.spicemarketllc.com and I will ensure you are well looked after.
kind regards

New York City, New York
“Horrible, horrible service. Will never go back”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is not my first time visiting this restaurant and my experience was great until today. I requested a nice window table for a birthday celebration several days ahead only to be given a crappy one close to the door. I was told the nice tables I wanted in the back of the room weren't available. They were unoccupied for most of my dinner. My bad review is related to the horrible, horrible service we received. It took at least 15 min to order drinks and another 15 to receive them. It took another 15 min to order appetizers. Our waiter was never around. He didn't seem to care. For people like that I always say, there always McDonalds to work in. No need to work in an upscale restaurant. We wanted to order more of certain appetizers and had to do it though a bus boy! Our waiter finally disappeared completely and left a messy table which wasn't cleaned up for at least 20 min after we finished eating. I asked asked a busboy to clean up to no avail. A waitress appeared out of nowhere with dessert menus and I asked for the manager. She smiled weirdly and walked away. I could see that the waitstaff was snickering about me and looking at me. Manager wasn't called. Another waitress came to take our dessert order and ignored me completely, and ignored my request to speak to a manager. Our coffee was forgotten as well. I flagged down one helpful bus boy who called a manager for me right away. He apologized and told us the waitress was new and still training. Our worst service was with the man who wasn't ever there. This waitress took over in the last 20 min. They were lucky I left a 10% tip as I wasn't going to leave any. This is the first time I ever did it. This is how angry I was. Yes, the ambiance is nice of you don't get some crappy table on the side of the room. Yes the food is mostly good to very good but this horrible experience on my Godson's bday killed it for me. Never again. This is the last time I will go to this place.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank agnes9971
403SpiceMarket, Guest Relations Manager at Spice Market, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
agnes9971
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your experience at Spice Market. I am sorry to read that you did not have an enjoyable evening with us. We are all working very hard on keeping our high standards of service. As I would like to investigate the matter further, may I kindly ask you to send an e-mail to mburgstaller@ny.spicemarketllc.com with the details of your dinner (date, time, reservation name if applicable). I will then personally follow up on the incident and inform you of the outcomes of my investigation.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Best way to end our trip”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We decided to try the Spice Market on our last night in New York. It was recommended to us by someone we had met the previous evening on a boat cruise that we had taken. We made a reservation and headed over there. The decor is just beautiful, a little dimly lit, so we needed the flashlight on our cell phone to read the menu. Our waitress truly made the evening wonderful. She recommended the favorite dishes, drinks and desserts. Her passion for the restaurant and the food they serve there was contagious. Her name is Svetlana, and she was an absolute delight. Start your meal with a ginger margarita. Absolutely delicious!!!! We tried the seafood salad and samosas for starters. The seafood salad was excellent. Our favorite dishes included the halibut, red curried duck, and the egg noodles. The best dessert we tried was the ovaltine kulfi. It was a wonderful way to finish off our trip, and I will definitely head back there next time we visit NYC.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank LoriM67
LoriM67
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your Spice Market experience. I am happy to read you were ‘blown away’ by the food and the service and that you plan to come back. Thank you for letting us know how great Svetlana was...I will be sure to relay this to her! We look forward to having you dine with us next time you are in NYC!!
Rome, Italy
“Good Thai food, but too much tourists”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I like the location and the design of the restaurant; I had a great Maine lobster; the wine list overpriced and poor. Too many tourists, the service were efficient.

• Visited June 2014
Cristiano C
Thank you for your feedback following your dinner at Spice Market. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the Lobster and the ambience that we have to offer. We strive to achieve very high standards of food, wine and service and it is only through our customer's comments that we can do so, therefore I sincerely thank you for your feedback.
Netherlands
“Great ambiance and good food!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This place was recommended by our hotelmanager when we asked him to make reservations at Tao. He said we would like this better (young couple), since it's in the vibrant area of Meatpacking District.
They're open until 12, which is great since a lot of restaurants closes at 22-22:30. We went at 21:30 and it was packed! Glad the hotelmanager made a reservation for us. It's a beautiful restaurant in really nice Asian style. The food (asian) was delicious! 2 appetizers and 2 others are fine for 2 people (the bill was around $ 100,- in total). Try the Charred Chili Rubbed Beef Skewer!!
The waitress was grumpy though and didn't want to ask if I could get 'naan'-bread in stead of rice (this was on their lunchmenu and she just said 'no'). One lady that was cleaning the table was really nice though, so it just depends who's helping you I guess.

Visited May 2014
KelenRog
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your experience at Spice Market. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the Charred Chili Rubbed Beef Skewers. We are all working very hard on keeping our high standards of service. As I would like to investigate the matter further, may I kindly ask you to send an e-mail to mburgstaller@ny.spicemarketllc.com with the details of your dinner (date, time, reservation name if applicable). I will then personally follow up on the incident and inform you of the outcomes of my investigation.