“Definitely an experience!”
Review of Spice Market - CLOSED

Spice Market
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: 9th Avenue
Transit: A,C,E,L train to 8th Avenue
Description: Highlighted in the national and local press, Spice Market, on the corner of 9th Avenue, is inspired by the street food that Jean-Georges Vongerichten enjoyed while traveling in Asia. Authentically uplifted versions of flavourful street foods are served family-style, with dishes arriving continuously throughout the meal for all to share. Spice Market also offers corporate and social dining for large groups in the restaurant, lounge, and intimate, semi-private alcove rooms.
Seattle, Washington
“Definitely an experience!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to try this place again. We went there about 4 years ago and we had a great experience but time I was a bit disappointed this time. We had the crab dumplings and crispy sushi as appetizers and the steamed red snapper and lobster as main course. The sauce and spices didn't go well at all with the crab dumplings. The flavors were too overwhelming and the crab dumplings were too dry. The crispy sushi was OK - not sure if chipotle sauce is a great choice on this one. The steamed red snapper was good but it was difficult to enjoy the taste after those overwhelming crab dumplings. My husband really liked his lobster - no complaints there. The service however is great. Our waiter was very nice and gave us a complimentary dessert because we had trouble deciding. We had the lychee parfait - it was excellent and our complimentary dessert was the mango rice pudding. I am not a great fan of this one - the rice was burnt I could barely taste the mango flavor. Overall, it was an good experience. I like this place so I will definitely give it another try next time we're in New York!

• Visited September 2013

Perth
“Our poor choice”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our daughter had been here previously and had the tasting menu so we didn’t really look at the a la carte.
We should have.
Our daughter is vegetarian and that’s fine, although the vegetarian tasting menu is the same price as the “meat” menu even though supermarket shopping would indicate that meat is more expensive than tofu.
My wife and I don’t eat pork and my wife is not fond of fish.
Despite being assured that none of this was a problem, the kitchen/waitress struggled to get three variations of a tasting menu out correctly and missed one course completely, missed another course for both “meat” eaters (the pork) and failed to explain initially, when the food came that some of it was to be shared as opposed to being for the person it was put in front of.
Really poor.
The restaurant is beautifully set up and I’m sure if we had ordered a la carte our experience would have been great, like previous reviewers.
A word of warning.
If you don’t want the tasting menu exactly as written, don’t order it.
(And we wouldn’t have if the waitress had at all indicated that changing it would be a problem).

• Visited September 2013
Ra'anana, Israel
“very good for who like Asian food”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Good service beautiful restaurant, reservations are required places beautiful and satisfying dishes not particularly expensive
Recommended for those who like Asian food

Visited September 2013
Athens
“Great food, even better cocktails”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I loved this Meatpacking bar restaurant, where is NOT all about the food (although it is good and pretty original). My top marks go for the atmosphere and the really unique cocktails

• Visited December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very unique experience”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went here with work trip and quite the experience! The inside is amazing and unique. The food is delicious as well. It's a cool place to eat and admire the atmosphere

• Visited January 2013