“Just for drinks and appetizers”
Review of Spice Market - CLOSED

Spice Market
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: 9th Avenue
Transit: A,C,E,L train to 8th Avenue
Description: Highlighted in the national and local press, Spice Market, on the corner of 9th Avenue, is inspired by the street food that Jean-Georges Vongerichten enjoyed while traveling in Asia. Authentically uplifted versions of flavourful street foods are served family-style, with dishes arriving continuously throughout the meal for all to share. Spice Market also offers corporate and social dining for large groups in the restaurant, lounge, and intimate, semi-private alcove rooms.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My girl friends and I got together here because of the great location to stay out the area. it's Asian fusion but all the dishes we ordered were off and not so tasty. It's still fantastic location so maybe for just drinks next time.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Headed to Atlantic 2, looking for a nibble and a drink, this was a great place. Sat outside for GREAT people watching and enjoyed: grilled beef skewers with Thai basil dipping sauce, lobster spring rolls and some Gruner Veltliner. Deelish and speedy. Been here 4x and they never disappoint.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I and our best friends were spending some time in New York after a Caribbean Cruise. Before we left Australia another friend recommended The Spice Market. I did a little research on the Net and it looked good. We tried to book before we left Australia but they only take bookings 4 weeks in advance so we had to wait until we had finnished our cruise. The date we picked was my wife and my 28th wedding anniversary.It was just luck that this fell when we were in New York, but they say good luck follows good luck. When we booked and they realised we were travelling from Australia they were impressed and asked if it was for anything special. I mentioned the cruise and our anniversary. The restaurant is in the lower part of Manhattan in the old Meat Packing District. The building does not look flash from the outside but once you enter the interior still looks like it would have when this place was a thriving Chinese Spice market. We were given a very nice table near the center and had a very capable and friendly waitress serve us. The food was directed mainly towards Asian but was absolutely incredible. After the meal we were just relaxing enjoying the last drops of the wine we had with the meal when the head waiter came over with a beautiful caramel bananna desert topped with chacolate and the Words Happy Anniversary written around the plate in chocolate. "Compliments of the Spice Market and Happy Anniversary" he said after he had introduced himself. This made the night for all of us. The dessert was fantastic. The whole experience was incredible. Price wise it was in the higher range compared to Australia but was well worth it. The place gets packed, we were there on a Saturday night, so make sure you book. As we left, around 10pm, we heard one of the staff say to the long line of people waiting outside, there would be a 2 hour wait. A very popular place.
Both my wife and I agreed it was the best Anniversary we had experienced.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

we went on a thursday evening for some eats and drinks, and we enjoyed everything we ordered, minus the lack of service.
typically in a Jean-Georges establishment we are treated with impeccable service... this was definitely lacking here.

we ordered the chicken skewers, summer beans sweet chili glaze, broccoli and baby corn lemongrass chili and everything was soooooo tasty.
my only mild food complaint would be the complimentary salsa, which oddly enough tastes like salsa from the jar with extra cumin added to it.
ambience is stylish yet comfortable and we enjoyed ourselves for a few hours of drinking and visiting, before heading out for a more lively drink.

we would definitely go again to sample more items off the menu.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Asian fusion, or something like that. Whatever it is, it tastes great and it's all served up in the city's hottest location -- the Meat Packing District. Go on a weekend evening, like I did, and step outside to see the 'beautiful people' looking for action. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.