Tripadvisor

Cuisines: African
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I didn’t know Ethiopian food could be tasteless. We’ve been eating it for 30 years and never had a bland meal until now. We ordered a vegetarian sampler for two. The portions were minuscule so we wound up ordering another two dinners. The sampler came with the usual items such as greens, yellow lentils, brown lentils, etc. The brown lentils were the only ones that actually had any taste. The service was poor and the restaurant was dirty. I would not recommend this place.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (85)

Reviewed October 16, 2019 via mobile

We found this amazing restaurant accidentally while strolling around the city. What a wonderful find!!! Delicious food, friendly and prompt service in a very casual and relaxed atmosphere. We are already planning on our return trip...
Well worth the visit!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed August 26, 2019

The dinner that I had at Meskerem Ethiopian Cuisine was delicious, and I would definitely return.

The four of us ordered, to share, the Tibs Wat (prime beef cooked in a pan, then sauteed with berbere), the Doro Wat (chicken leg seasoned with onions, garlic and fresh ginger then sauteed with butter and red wine finished with berbere and served with hard-boiled egg), the Special Chicken Tibs (cubes of boneless chicken seasoned with garlic, onions and tomatoes finished with awaze sauce) and the Vegetarian combo (which consisted of the miser (split lentils dipped with ginger, garlic, onions, olive oil and curry), miser wat (split lentils with garlic, onions and olive oil finished with berbere sauce), kik wat (Ethiopian split pea cooked with onions and garlic finished with curry), gommen (chopped collard greens cooked with onions and garlic), buticha (Ground chickpeas cooked with onions and minced jalapeno chili pepper), shro wat (highly seasoned and ground chickpeas in berbere sauce), vegetable no. 1 (Sauteed fresh string beans, carrots and onions with tomato sauce) and vegetable no. 2.(Fresh cabbage, potatoes and carrots sauteed with garlic, ginger and curry)). Everything arrived on a large platter on top of two pieces of injera bread, and another four pieces were provided to us apart from that.

We left feeling rather full, and while we finished pretty much everything, there was still some injera left on the platter. I would say that the food was some of the best Ethiopian I have had in New York. I liked this place better than both locations of Awash, though I think the ambiance and service there may be better.

The ambiance and service are pretty average. You come down a set of stairs from the street, and the dining area is a bit dimly lit with a few pictures on the walls. The overall vibe is a bit more greasy spoon than fine dining. The staff were polite, but again I was not expecting fine dining level of care, so it was more than serviceable. Considering our meal ended up about $18 per person with tax and tip, no alcohol or drinks), I thought it was good value and what one should expect for service.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed April 24, 2019

I did like the assortment plate I ordered, and they get credit for having honey wine & gluten-free injera... just wish the dining area/setting was more inviting. I went alone, so it was fine; but the downstairs location & no-frills ambience makes me not want to go here as a 'meet-up' place with friends.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 9, 2019

I went for the first time to an Ethiopian restaurant with a friend, when visiting New York. This was an interesting experience, as we shared a meskerem combo brought in a large round plate and with some kind of crepes to help us take the food that was on this large plate. It was really good, and the waitress was also friendly. The Ethiopian music played at this restaurant (which is located in a basement) was also enjoyable and new for me. I will definitely try again Ethiopian food based on this first experience.

Date of visit: February 2019