“Quiet lunch in Greenwich Village...worked for us”
Review of Ciao

Ciao
Ranked #9,799 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Nolita
Neighborhood: Nolita
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was plowing through the Village with my 16yo daughter on a birthday shopping swing and we stumbled into the door of Ciao. It was a great find. Good solid food, fresh ingrediants, well prepared. Waiter was very friendly and the atmosphere was good...nice inside, and the people watching out the window just what NY delivers the best. We had omelettes and salads and it was right on target. This isn't fine dining but a fun place to drift into if you are in the neighborhood. It didn't disappoint.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This place is prominently positioned on the corner of Bleeker and MacDougal in Greenwich Village and a table outside was a good spot to take in the sights and sounds of a busy NY neighbourhood.

The food was "OK", but the service was vague and slow - no excuse during a pretty quiet lunch - and its one of those places that automatically adds 20% tip to the bill, which apart from being completely unwarranted considering the lack of attention we received, was totally out of line for a table of 4.

I'm not the kind of guy that stands for that, so I made them remove it from the bill and added what I thought was an appropriate tip based on the service - and only left that amount because I felt obliged, not because it was deserved.

Needless to say I wasn't popular after that, but to be honest I wouldn't return anyway so, like, whatever.

Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Locations is ok. Food is ok, nothing special, we had a pasta and pizza. But then came the bill...with 20% tip included, they said it was standard in the US... Hahaha these guys probaply dont go out much, so dont expect anything special. Its a tourist trap...like most New Yorkers would say! We where not counting on anything special, so we had a nice time eating outside! But when the bill came we feld ripped off. Dont go there, there are much better places where they treat customers and tourists fair.
Enjoy New York but not at Ciao.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

we popped in for dinner because the place looked busy enough and the outside seating looked a nice place to watch the world go by.
the service was quick enough, but it was a bit alarming to have our wine choice met with "actually this [obviously more expensive] one is better". we decided to reconsider and the waiter became obviously impatient and walked off. bread and water were dumped unceremoniously in front of us and food arrived suspiciously quickly - and was of pretty basic quality for the price. we'd been made so uncomfortable that we asked for the check- and were totally ignored. we had to ask three times and it ended up taking nearly half an hour. during this time there were countless members of staff milling around right by us.
when it finally arrived, the (hefty) tip was already included in the total. no wonder the staff couldn't be bothered.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was a bit surprise it was recommended. The food was average not big deal. I ordered their pasta dish. I felt the waiter was rushing me to get the next person to my seat. The food tasted commercial with no freshness to it. This place is just another restaurant that the village has to offer.