“What's in your five?”
Review of Alta

Alta
Reserve with OpenTable
Alta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #831 of 14,591 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed May 31, 2014

"5 is typically the number of dishes a party of 2 orders," Jeremy our waiter explained as he deftly guided us through the menu of over 40 small plates. (Dessert is a whole other menu!) Luckily I had studied the menu the night before and we had agreed with 4 out the 5 recommendations he made. The item we picked on our own the Pulled Pork Empanadas was good but our least favorite of the plates. But I am getting ahead of myself. Back tracking a bit- we requested a romantic table and were promptly seated upstairs in a small balcony area that over looked the main dining room. No one was on top of us. We started off with a glass of sangria and a jalapeño margarita. Both great. Sangria was huge and I was buzzed pretty quickly. Crispy Brussel Sprouts (hubby's fav and also our waiter's), Wok seared Taglieriini of Calamari (my favorite), Lamb Meatballs, Morroccan Lamb Tangine and Braised Short ribs of beef were our other choices. Plates were spaced out to allow us plenty of time to savor. We HAD to make room for dessert- our choices did not disappoint. Chocolate Moulten Cake and the Ginger Pudding. Terrific!! Cannot wait to go back and bring some friends so we can make a serious dent in this menu. Highly recommend!

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

A bit overpriced but not excessive. 65 USD each with a few starters to share and a US version of Paella... To be honest not the best I had in my life...Sangria has an unreasonable price but it's good (red wine).

The place is nicely furnished and the atmosphere is warm, yet tables are very closed, so I would not consider it as the most reserved.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Good variety and creative dishes. Just ask the waiter for suggestions.

To drink, I had a mojito that was ok, not fantastic.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was my second time at Alta and I have to say it didn't disappoint. The food is excellent bit pricey. Everything we had was excellent but I highly recommend the stuffed dates.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This place is difficult to find but worth seeking out. Excellent tapas in a very busy spot in the village.