“Perfect New York place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Balthazar

Balthazar
Reserve with OpenTable
Balthazar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, European, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: SoHo
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Perfect New York place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We went here for Sunday brunch on our recent trip..It was absolutely packed when we arrived & remained so all the time we were there..With people queuing & being turned away, it's wise to book.
We had great, attentive service & really good food..a shrimp cocktail to share (along with a couple of excellent bloody Marys) and steak frites to follow. Perfectly cooked steak, great bearnaise & an enourmous pile of delicious crispy frites) with an excellent bottle of red the bill came to around $160 which we thought was good value indeed .
A really really nice touch was that when I booked (online) I had mentioned that the meal was part of an anniversary present trip..Imagine our surprise when our waitress bought out some ice cream with a candle in it and wished us both 'Happy Anniversary' Excellent customer care. We'd certainly go back.

• Visited March 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Dined with my husband for a special evening out together. Initially were seated at an awkward and compact table at 90 degree angle to each other but upon can't were quickly shown to an more appropriate table. The wine list is fabulous and the menu is interesting but overly meat heavy even for a French restaurant. Dined on oysters (pricey but so fresh and delicious) Balthazar salad (divine!) and fresh made linguine with clams (perfection!) and my husband dined on steak tar tar which he commented was the best he's had.

Service is very attentive and I would certainly come again. Our compliments to the chef - clearly fresh ingredients and artfully prepared.

“Elegant atmosphere and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The last visit was for dessert and I must say it was among the best I have ever had. Although the place was packed we were seated quickly and served in perfect style. On my next trip to NYC I will be taking my wife for a sumptuous dinner.

• Visited March 2014
Arlington, Virginia
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Yes, its in SoHo. That, for me, is a downside as I hate trekking all the way down to SoHo to have dinner then, usually, hurrying back uptown for theatre. Plus, the fact that they don't start seating for dinner until 6:00pm means you're usually rushed if you're seeing an 8:00pm show.

However, I'd run through a snowstorm to catch the N/R if it meant that I got to have dinner at Balthazar. And, as many scarred onlookers witnessed during my last trip to NYC, I did just that.

The Bar Steak was highly recommended by my server and I'm glad that I went for it. The cut of meat, sadly, wasn't the most tender, but it was juicy and chewy and, with the maître d'hôtel butter and béarnaise sauce, among the best steaks I've had in NYC. But no, I haven't been to Peter Lugar's yet.

The service here, though, is what makes it truly amazing. It is unbelievable. Forget the half-way mark; your drink never gets below three-quarters full before they refill it. The Balthazar baguette is so delicious, I sometimes forget that the steak is the main attraction. I've been trying to make it to the profiteroles for years but I'm always too full!

Go here!

Visited March 2014
Toronto
“Worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This place was in so many guides we had to try it. They were right. As close to a Parisien bistrot that you will find. Started with the onion soup which was spectacular. Practically a meal in itself. The bread was amazing. I had the duck confit which was excellent and my wife had the trout salade which was equally good. No room for dessert unfortunately. Definitely a keeper.

Visited March 2014