“Try and go here everytime I'm in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Balthazar

Balthazar
Reserve with OpenTable
Balthazar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, European, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: SoHo
USA
“Try and go here everytime I'm in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

One of my favorite restaurants in NYC. Love the goat and onion tart, and food here is great. Staff is friendly. Recommend the mussels and fries. A little pricey but totally worth it

Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Great time..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Ducked in because of the cold outside to warm up with a cup of coffee. Had already made diner reservations some place else however liked Balthazar so much that we decided to cancel the other reservation and have diner here.

Good drinks, food and ambiance..

1 Thank Ziya B
Delabole, United Kingdom
“Good Parisian Style Food and ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We travelled to NYC (from London) mid January to celebrate my wife's birthday. Friends we knew in NYC told us about Balthazar and through a favour of one of these friends, we managed to reserve ourselves a table on the morning of my wifes birthday (at quite late notice).

Having by then read mixed reviews, I fully intended to turn up to grumpy 'front of house' and queues out of the door. There was none of that (which was good, because it was snowing outside!) and instead the staff that greeted us were friendly and pleasant. We waited but a minute for our table.

The layout of the restaurant is very typically early 20th Century French and there was a real hustle and bustle about the place. As another reviewer wrote - you are surrounded by beautiful people, though I did still observe the odd person who was insistant on wearing a baseball cap at their table...

Foodwise...very good. Portions seemed to vary in size (we had the Eggs Benedict from the brunch menu and this was considerably bigger than other egg options) and we didn't have to wait long at all for the food. Their artisan breads were lovely.

As it was my wifes birthday, I asked a waitress to take a photo of my wife and I at the table, which the waitress kindly did. 5 minutes later, the same waitress came out with a mini birthday cake for my wife with a burning candle on. Nice touch.

Staff were in massive abundance. In fact, my only real gripe about the place is that it all seemed a little 'rushed'. There was a trend in NYC generally of whipping away one's plate as soon as it is finished with, irrespective of if that persons partner is still eating. As a European living less than 100 miles from France, I can state that this would never happen in a French restaurant, nor indeed even an English. I actually saw a family next to us become agitated when this happened to them too so perhaps anybody reading this working as a table server could learn from it? Trust me, as Europeans, we like to dwell a little over our food. It's a passion, not a chore to eat good food so it's a shame we felt we needed to make way for the next group of people who were constantly streaming through the door.

Anyway, the bill was expensive but not ridiculous and the experience certainly worth the trip in a cab (great shops around that part of town too!)

2 Thank Hogtronix
West Plains, Missouri
“Business Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Nice expensive restaurant in Manhattan. French menu very expensive but it's in Manhattan so it's expected. Wait staff are very friendly the food was very good. Most tables were small sort of like a large version of a Paris café.

Sydney, Australia
“Classic American Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We went on Christmas Day and it was a wonderful experience. Restaurant is beautifully appointed with a great atmosphere. Food was excellent and superbly cooked. We both had fish and it was wonderful and the desserts were extra special. Would recommend for any occasion.

• Visited December 2013