“Fab!”
Review of Raoul's

Raoul's
Reserve with OpenTable
Raoul's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #627 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoHo
Cross street: between Sullivan and Thompson Sts.
Transit: N or R to Prince St. C or E to Spring St.
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

This place comes alive at night. The cozy atmosphere just adds to the ambiance. The food was delicious but the memorable part was dessert. The sticky fig cake is one of the best desserts I have ever had! The music was great, a lot of 70's and rock the night we went. Sunday night was busy so I can only imagine a Friday or Saturday night.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My friend and I enjoyed a great meal at Raoul's on a recent Friday night. There were at least two tables of French-speaking patrons in our immediate vicinity (translation: street cred!). We shared the delicious foie gras appetizer to start, and my friend ordered the restaurant's signature dish (steak au poivre, served with an enormous portion of fries and a small watercress salad) and I had the scallops with uni and pork belly. Our server was kind enough to point out that the scallops dish was small (3 scallops, stacked with pork belly and a blob of uni), but that didn't make a big difference because I ended up stealing more than my fair share of my friend's frites. The scallops were expertly cooked, but the pork belly was a little tough and difficult to cut without squishing the scallop sitting underneath. I ordered a watermelon vodka cocktail topped with cracked black pepper, which had real watermelon puree but was a little too boozy-tasting to enjoy (I drank it all anyway, nevertheless).

The only drawback is that the room is a quite cramped and loud, but that's part of the experience. If you're looking for a chic, "designed" room, go elsewhere. This place has a decidedly dated look (we sat next to a bright 80s/90s-esque aquarium), but you're here for the food, not the scene.

PS: In addition to having a very cramped space, the restaurant's bathroom is located on the second floor, which is only accessible via an incredibly steep and tight spiral staircase (we watched an elderly lady take about 3 whole minutes to make the entire one-story climb), so accessibility for patrons using a wheelchair is non-existent.

PPS: Patrons at the bar are able to order the restaurant's burger, which is off the menu and not available for dining room patrons. My friend's partner (who was not dining with us) has said that Raoul's is the best burger he's ever had. We were sad we weren't able to try it for ourselves. If you're a burger fan, definitely learn from our mistake and try to get a seat at the bar.

1  Thank ESLiu
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food was excellent and the price was pretty reasonable. The steak and chicken entrees we very delicious and filling. Our waiter was very knowledgeable. The seating is pretty tight but everything else outweighs that part. If you are in the Soho area you should try it.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a nice meal there. We tried a couple appetizers and everyone in our party had something different so it was nice to try a few things. Scallops presentation was lovely. Steaks were done perfectly. Wine list was good. We were full and happy at the end.

1  Thank Patricia R
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was taken here as a surprise and I absolutely loved it, really lively and the staff are very friendly. The food overall was very good, in particular the warm octopus salad, but the bread that accompanied the steak tartare was slightly stale and the asparagus burnt in some places. The steak au poivre was fantastic though. I would definitely recommend the restaurant

1  Thank franjipan88