“An Old-Time Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ballato's

Ballato's
Ranked #501 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Los Angeles, California
“An Old-Time Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I started going to Ballato's in the mid-eighties when I was in my early twenties! (yes, I'm that old!) I remember when John Ballato was there. The neighborhood is completely different now. It was then and still is one of the finest Italian restaurants in the city. Every now and then the waiters will give you an attitude- but that's part of the NY experience! The calamari is sensational and the pastas are yummy. Some places hold wonderful memories and are worth going back to again and again. Ballatos is like that. You get an old world experience that should not be missed. Mangia!

• Visited March 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fundamental Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Walked in for lunch on a Saturday afternoon after leaving REI down the street. We loved it. It's a hearty menu. I had the Pomodori Salad (tomato with fresh basil, oregano, garlic and extra virgin olive oil), spaghetti and meatballs (100% beef) and my wife had the Rigatoni Con Zucchine with squash and tomato sauce.
It was all excellently prepared and delicious. Maybe a little too much olive oil in the salad but that's my only gripe. It was a filling, hearty and authentic meal.
This will sound weird, but check out the restroom, especially if you grew up in the NY area in the 70s.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Richard K
Buffalo, New York
“Great gem tucked away in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I recently visited Ballato's for the second time. This place serves true, authentic Italian food. I love Italian, so I eat copious amounts of Italian at various places, and this stands out as being one of the best. Everything tastes fresh and it's undeniable quality. I had the spaghetti and meatballs on both visits and it did not disappoint either time. The meatballs are so tender and flavorful and stands out as some of the best I've ever had. The service was great as well. The server was attentive and friendly and our water and wine glasses were filled steadily. It is on the pricier side, as I paid $65 for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs and a bottle of wine split between three people, but since I only come to the city 2-3 times a year, it's worth the splurge. Their serving sizes are also on the smaller side as I had no problem finishing my whole plate, which is unusual for me. All in all, this is a great restaurant with fantastic, authentic Italian food, great ambiance, and friendly staff. I would highly recommend!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Melanie N
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Good food and a nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Not extraordinary in my opinion, but everything you could expect from a good restaurant; polite service, nice environment and good food. I like my food even more tasteful, but still a nice piece of art.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank JonatanSilvlin
“Fantastic yet again ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

This was my second time here , my husband took me here for my birthday ! The antipasti great , the sea bass in lemon and white wine and caper sauce was fantastic ! We love the atmosphere the banter with the waiters and everything about this place ! See you again soon Emilio .........

1 Thank Cazza1965