“We loved this place....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Espanol

Cafe Espanol
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Espanol is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,918 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Sullivan
Transit: A,B,C,D,E,F to West 4th street station. Walk south 2 blocks to Bleecker St. and make a left. 6 train to Bleecker Street. Walk west on Bleecker St. 1,9 trains to Christopher St. Walk East on Bleecker St.
Description: Cozy, romantic, authentic Spanish tapas restaurant in the heart of the west village. Customers will be treated to a wonderful candlelight meal by our experienced and knowledgeable staff. Come join us for a taste of Spain.
montreal
“We loved this place....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Food was great...a warren of little rooms..service good...a bit noisy but added to the overall atmosphere...dessert presentation waspure entertainment.

• Korean first
Montreal, Canada
“Bland food in a cosy decor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

At first look, this place looks promising: cosy decor, large crowd, nice location, etc.. but the service is poor - maybe because it was a busy saturday - and the food is generally bland, overcooked and untasty. Wonder why the good reviews? For the price asked, it was a dinner experience we'd rather forget!

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Good Spanish food in NY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a small Spanish restaurant with a bit of a tacky decor. However we had an enjoyable lunch: the food was well prepared, the portions very generous and the service attentive and friendly. Overall good value for money.

Oxford, Mississippi
“We didn't enjoy at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I hesitate to give a poor rating to a restaurant that so many people rate highly, but we simply did not enjoy our meal here, both from the standpoint of the service and the food itself.

We came after going to the theater and made our selection based on the many good reviews on this site. We studied the menu before entering and everything looked great to us. But it just wasn't. Our waiter was not terrible, but I cannot classify the service as good in any way.

And as for the food, mostly fair to bad. We took advantage of a dinner special. My wife's black bean soup was cold. I don't even remember everyone's entrees, but nobody really liked theirs. I got the shrimp with rice, and I will say it was the hugest portion imaginable, but it was bland beyond belief. The whole experience was bad enough that everyone in the family berated me for my choice of restaurants.

Maybe we just caught them on a bad night. Given the large number of favorable reviews I will provide a couple of tips. The restaurant had some dinner specials which offer a very good value. The portions are truly huge, easily enough for two. They have an extra plate charge, so a couple could order one special, an extra plate and perhaps an extra cup of soup and make a good meal of it.

Second, the specials have a notice that they cannot be ordered by customers using restaurant.com vouchers or other discount offers. So if you are planning to order a la carte you might want to see if a voucher is available.

Third, they have a lobster special, I think on Monday nights, that looked interesting. I don't think you can buy the discounted lobster with a restaurant.com voucher.

My family would not return. I might give them another try.

• Visited March 2013
Baltimore, MD
“Enjoyable Spanish Cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have been to Spain and enjoyed the food there. Our experience here was enjoyable, reminiscent of Spain, but not "amazing." The food was very good but not terribly memorable. For instance, I ordered a pork chop dish with green peppers and onion. The pork was very tender, and the portion was pretty generous, but the dish lacked seasoning. We also had some paella, which was nice enough (nice portion; reasonable flavor, but not amazing). We had mussels as an appetizer, and I thought that they were very good (sauce was tasty, size of mussels was good). Dessert (some kind of coffee-flavored layer cake) was nothing great. My party ordered two pitchers of red sangria. This for me was the most disappointing part of the meal; it tasted weak in flavor and strength. Each pitcher was approx. twenty five dollars. I thought that food items were affordably priced, even for where we live (Baltimore), much less New York. Service was pretty efficient and cordial enough. The guy who did the dessert song and dance was entertaining. Seating is a bit tight. Bottom line is that I would go back knowing that I could try some other items without breaking the bank.

• Visited March 2013