“Still good after all these years”
Review of Wallse

Wallse
Reserve with OpenTable
Wallse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,624 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: West 11th, corner of Washington
Transit: Subway: A,C,E,L to 14th Street. 1.9 to Christopher Street
Description: Wallsé, the flagship restaurant of Chef Kurt Gutenbrunner, serves contemporary, european cuisine that reflects Kurt passion for aesthetics, taste, quality, and seasonality. Modern and minimalistic, Wallsé delivers a new image of refined Austrian cuisine.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went back to Wallse recently after not having gone in 5-6 years, and had an enjoyable dinner. Food is still nicely done, service is friendly (woman behind bar let me do a gin tasting when I ordered a martini, which was fun - had not done one of those before). Not entirely relevant, but Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Diane Keaton all were there too.

1  Thank NYC_i-banker

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

A bit hit and miss. The lamb chops were good but the goulash was poor. For starters the heirloom tomato salad was good. Desserts seemed popular. Overall though a somewhat disappointing visit. The greeters appeared to seat other walk-ins who came after us before they dealt with us. I don't think we will be back.

2  Thank MaxBethune
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent Austrian restaurant. Loved charming decor. Artsy without being offensive. Recommend Boston lettuce salad with pumpkin seed and quark spatzle as starters. Spatzle app was actually large enough it could have been a main dish. For dinner the trout and Weiner Snitzel were delicious. I am not a big dessert fan, but the Salzberger Nocker was light and amazing. A little like eating a fresh marshmallow. Must try! The apps and dessert were big enough to share. Go for a walk along the Hudson afterwards for a perfect evening.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My brother, sister-in-law, and I enjoyed ourselves tonight. The Antelope was not on menu tonight (something I had been waiting for for a month), so based on suggestions from our server, we ordered the Rabbit appetizer, Local Striped Bass, Braised Beef Cheeks, and Weiner Schnitzel. Amuse bouche was a smoked trout and chive mousse in a crispy cone, delicious! Rabbit Appetizer was prepared in a way that my sister-in-law would willingly eat the peas and chantrelles (she dislikes peas and mushrooms), though the flavor to me was a little odd when I didn’t have a piece of rabbit on it (with rabbit it was a perfect bite). Bass was perfectly cooked (I am a grill cook at a highly successful fine dining seafood restaurant in Orlando), Weiner Schnitzel was very tasty, and the beef cheeks were tender enough to cut with a fork (quite good, it is a popular item according to our server). After those recommendations we decided to share 1 last recommendation from her, the Salzburger Nockerl with Huckleberries. Think like a soufflé style creamy meringue with sweet berries underneath, absolutely perfect finish to the meal. As we left, we agreed that it was an excellent choice for dinner.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a really wonderful dinner on a very hot and humid NY evening. Started with superb heirloom tomatoes served with onions and balsamic vinaigrette. I love these flavorful tomatoes as opposed to the tasteless ones you now get in the shops. Whenever I see them on a menu I order them. These were amongst the best I've eaten. My wife skipped the appetizer and for the mains I had the beef goulash and she had the Wiener schnitzel. Both portions were quite large so she was happy to have skipped the appetizer. We have both dined here before so we knew the portion sizes. I have had the goulash before but this presentation with vegetables and quark spaetzle. Was outstanding. For dessert we shared the Black Forest tart which was very nice but after a filling dinner probably could have skipped. For wine we had a bottle of a Zweigelt. Don't know much about Austrian wines so went with the cheapest red. It was very good. We highly recommend Wallse.