“Classy and a bit understated.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wallse

Wallse
Reserve with OpenTable
Wallse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,239 of 13,551 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Austrian, European, Central European, German
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: West 11th, corner of Washington
Transit: Subway: A,C,E,L to 14th Street. 1.9 to Christopher Street
Description: Wallsé, the flagship restaurant of Chef Kurt Gutenbrunner, serves contemporary, european cuisine that reflects Kurt passion for aesthetics, taste, quality, and seasonality. Modern and minimalistic, Wallsé delivers a new image of refined Austrian cuisine.
New York City, New York
“Classy and a bit understated.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went there with another couple as a part of my birthday celebration. Inside the restaurant is nice but not mind blowing. Service was great from the very beginning was very nice. We did have a chuckle seeing how they just pile up all the jackets in a corner. We did not care but I am sure some of the customers with fancy coats did not find it as amusing.
We all got testing menus and they actually allow you to pick what is it you want to taste just as long as you include one dessert. They even allowed my friend to get the 6 course menu while the rest of us got the 4. It was quite nice to be able to do it and not be given the BS line of it is what it is and you cannot change anything.
The food itself was excellent. Men went for a more meaty selections and women for more see food. We did "cross-pollinate" so I have tried around 8 different dishes and like them all to different degrees. I think trout, lobster and schnitzel were the highlights.

• Visited February 2013

New York City, New York
“My Favorite Local Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Chef Kurt Gutenbrunner named Wallse after his home-town in Austria. The food is a modern take on classic Austrian and Bavarian dishes and as far as I am concerned, it is the only place in New York City to get a decent Wienner Schnitzel.

However, this is not some family-style German restaurant like you find elsewhere. The chef's creations are worthy of the most serious foodie's praise and the decor is based on his own unique modern sensibility and private art collection.

You definitely need reservations here. The prices are not extravagant, but definitely not cheap either. I have always felt that every single meal was worth the price here, though. This is a great place for a romantic date or a relaxing Sunday brunch. The High-Line is only a few blocks away and is a great way to walk-off the filling meal.

• Visited November 2012
Mevasseret Zion, Israel
“Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Afer reading alll reviews we have expected something different. The atmosphere is ok. The restaurant looks elegant though not in particular nice. HOwever the disappointment comes with the food. An average and below food. NOhing to commnet about. YOu would expect from such a place to present superb food,however, we were a group of 6 and we couldn't find any special taste or dish. Much too expensive and not good!

• Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“I'd give 7 stars! The best in NYC, from a big gourmet foodie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've been to most of michelin star restaurants in NYC over the years, and this place is probably the most underrated fine dining in the city. Sure, the ambiance is not like Daniel or Perse, but the food here is really really fine. If they have the morels on the menu, get it, it's to die for.
I'd never imagined that Austrian food can top French in finesse. Every time I go there my palate is as satisfied if not more than at Jean Georges or even Bouley or any of those big name french places. Foodwise, more than amazing, but the decor isn't all that great for everyone. It's ok, but somehow very german feel to it, especially that ugly portrait of the chef. No matter how famous the artist is, I don't think it matches the fine food.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Noora K
London
“Aviod”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I took my Godfather and his partner here for dinner when visiting in NY for work.
What could have been a really enjoyable evening was ruined by a totally incompetent, weak, ineffectual restaurant manger. Having eaten here before I thought I knew what to expect which was not a table of 8 people so LOUD that I was unable to have a conversation with anyone on my table without almost shouting (keep in mind they were 3 tables away!). I asked a waiter if he could ask the table to lower their voices a little and he said he had already done so but would ask again. I have never had reason to complain in a restaurant before, maybe I've been v lucky? The table quietened down for about 2 minutes then resumed their deafening inane chatter, it would not have been so bad if their conversation had been remotely interesting or amusing, it was neither! Halfway through our main course the manager appeared after I had asked for him 20 mins earlier and rather that ask the group to to lower their voices to a normal pitch said he would move us to another table?!?!? He did nothing to apologise even though 3 of the waiting staff had apologised earlier and said they were sorry about such a loud table, the waiter taking our order could not hear what my Godfather was trying to order. Until this restaurant has a manger who can actually control the place in a civilised manner I would avoid it, for the price $400 for 2 courses for 3 people, we left after 2 courses as it was too bloody noisy the are far better, more civilised restaurants.

• Visited October 2012