“Aviod”
Review of Wallse

Wallse
Reserve with OpenTable
Wallse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,349 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: West 11th, corner of Washington
Transit: Subway: A,C,E,L to 14th Street. 1.9 to Christopher Street
Description: Wallsé, the flagship restaurant of Chef Kurt Gutenbrunner, serves contemporary, european cuisine that reflects Kurt passion for aesthetics, taste, quality, and seasonality. Modern and minimalistic, Wallsé delivers a new image of refined Austrian cuisine.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I took my Godfather and his partner here for dinner when visiting in NY for work.
What could have been a really enjoyable evening was ruined by a totally incompetent, weak, ineffectual restaurant manger. Having eaten here before I thought I knew what to expect which was not a table of 8 people so LOUD that I was unable to have a conversation with anyone on my table without almost shouting (keep in mind they were 3 tables away!). I asked a waiter if he could ask the table to lower their voices a little and he said he had already done so but would ask again. I have never had reason to complain in a restaurant before, maybe I've been v lucky? The table quietened down for about 2 minutes then resumed their deafening inane chatter, it would not have been so bad if their conversation had been remotely interesting or amusing, it was neither! Halfway through our main course the manager appeared after I had asked for him 20 mins earlier and rather that ask the group to to lower their voices to a normal pitch said he would move us to another table?!?!? He did nothing to apologise even though 3 of the waiting staff had apologised earlier and said they were sorry about such a loud table, the waiter taking our order could not hear what my Godfather was trying to order. Until this restaurant has a manger who can actually control the place in a civilised manner I would avoid it, for the price $400 for 2 courses for 3 people, we left after 2 courses as it was too bloody noisy the are far better, more civilised restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Wallse

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is a great West Village spot. And, for those of us who find the meatpacking district a little trendy and full of hip wanna be's..Wallse is the real deal. Its for sophisticated downtown grown ups. Great food, great service and welcoming ambiance. Great NYC West Village experience.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My friends took me to Wallse to celebrate my 40th Birthday. As soon as we walked-in, the restaurant had a nice vibe and ambience in a great neighborhood. The service was impeccable- it was just the way I expect it to be in NYC- friendly, curteous, unobstrusive, and professional. We ordered the foie gras, market salad and heirloom tomatoes for appetizers. As for entrees, we all shared the veal chop, halibut and the scallops. My personal favorites were the foie gras and the scallops with califlower sauce- they were just divine! For dessert, we had the apple tart and the mozart cake. Everything from the beginning to the end was perfection! The prices do reflect the quality of the restaurant but it was worth every penny. I highly recommend this place!!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

What a nice place, simple but sophisticated. We had dinner with friends and were seated at a very nice table in the middle of the dining room. Asked for their famous Goulash, but they don't have that at the moment on their menu, so we settled for Wiener Schnitzel with an excellent cucumber/potato salad, and one of us had a very well prepared cornish hen. The Schnitzels were out of this world...in fact the only thing lacking was that I would have enjoyed a bit more of the delicious lingoberry sauce. The chocolate ganache as desert was incredible.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Had never had austrian food and really enjoyed Wallse in the West Village. We were a party of 4 and everyone loved their dish as well as appetizers. The staff is extremely helpful recommending dishes based on what you told them and the presentation is very well done. Ordered the lamb-chops which may well be the best I ever had.