“Best Italian in the village?”
Review of Po

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Bleecker and Sixth Avenue
Transit: Close to the West 4th street station of the ACEBDF. Also close to the 1 train at Christopher street.
Description: Po is an Italian restaurant that offers fresh, simply prepared seasonal fare in a cozy and inviting neighborhood setting.
Hong Kong, China
“Best Italian in the village?”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

When we initially looked at the menu in the window I was a bit nonplussed about eating at Po's.

But we were hungry and it was there and I do like Italian...and obviously this five star review is proof this was a good call.

The service was impeccable; attentive without being intrusive and our waiter offered to let us taste an unfamiliar wine to see if that variety was for us.

I had the spaghetti carbonara and it was not only the best I've ever had, but probably the best **pasta** I have eaten. The serving was on the large size, but it was so moreish that I pushed myself and finished it. I also enjoyed the white bean bruschetta, which avoided that 'dirt' taste that white beans can easily exhibit.

The other meals eaten were gnocchi, which was light and fluffy, and an orecchiette that had a lovely sweet sausage.

The ambiance was pleasant and we've certainly paid more money for worse food in New York.

• Visited October 2013

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Bijou restaurant, but did not live up to the hype”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I visited this restaurant with 3 work colleagues, one of whom made the reservation and was full of praise for the restaurant. I had not read any other reviews before the visit but have done so now.

We arrived on time for our reservation but ended up waiting about 10 minutes, not a real issue as it was a warm night with plenty of people watching in the street. There is nowhere to wait inside so had it been cold or raining I would have been distinctly unimpressed.

The guy who booked the restaurant is a geat fan of the locale and its restaurants and I can see the attraction however like some of the other reviewers I felt it did not quite live up to the promise.

There was a lot of discussion with the waiter over the choice of wine. I began to get the distinct impression we were being steered towards the bottle with the greatest margin rather than what we were asking for. The wine chosen after this consultantion was not really what we had been looking for nor the description given by the waiter (who claimed to be the sommelier). Having lived in Italy there were 2 other wines on the wine list which would have more closely fitted our description and request that never got a mention. Maybe I am an old cynic but they were cheaper than that recommended.

The "amuse bouche" - beans on bruschetta - was ok but by no means angels dancing on the tongue. We did not order it, I know not if we were charged for it.

My goats cheese starter was pleasant enough but frankly looked a lot better than the resulting combination of flavours where the chesse was too strong in flavour for the accompanying trimmings.

I had one of the pasta mains. Again pleasant enough, but the pasta was rather heavy, not sure if this was the basic mix or being slighlty overcooked. It was described as coming in a tomato sauce with mozarrella and rosemary. Eventually I found the cheese. The rosemary consisted of two small stalk which to me appeared to have been added at the last minute rather than an integral part of the sauce, as such it was overpowering for those two mouthfuls.

parmesan was offered witoujty asking to all of us who had pasta, however no black pepper was offered and my pasta fdefinitely needed it and it took some while to get this brought to the table.

I did not have a dessert but those served to my co-diners looked (and I was told tasted) good but somehow they lacked the 'WOW!' factor I would have expected.

This reivew probably sounds hypercritical but had I gone to the restaurant without it being hyped up and not felt we were being manipulated very strongly.

There is clealry an 'full of life atmosphere' in the restaurant.

I usually stay up near Times Square as it is convenient for my business arrangement, I would not travel all the way to Cornelia Street to go to this restaurant as, in my opinion, there are a number of others, equal or better, close by.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Peter2507
Wayne, New Jersey
“A great dining experience”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Tried Po for lunch. It was my first visit and it will definitely not be my last. The food and service were what every restaurant should strive for. Coupled with an intimate, tasteful ambiance, it made for a truly wonderful dining experience. The lunch menu is interesting with many creative dishes and the dinner menu looks even better. Can't wait to try this place for dinner. Service was as a team and quickly brought water, drinks, bread/olive oil and some white bean bruschetta to our table. We tried two panini, one with portobello mushroom, roasted pepper, arugula and grana padano; the other, duck in a tomato-based sauce with red onion and chipotle peppers. Both were on the same rustic bread and were excellent. We also tried an order of the pappardelle with duck ragu. Perfectly cooked and delicious. This is a winning combination: a welcoming environment with wonderful cuisine. In my book, also great value for the quality and quantity of the food.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Onthebacknine
Sydney, Australia
“Brilliant”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is like dining in an Italian Village.
The pasta is amazing.
The service is so friendly your first visit feels like it is your 100th
Sui at the bar or a table and the experience is equally amazing.
Just do it !
Go inside and leave the NYC pace outside.
A culinary Oasis !

• Visited September 2013
Kent
“Excellent Greenwich Village Restaurant”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a must do restaurant even if you're in NYC for a couple of days.
Food and service was faultless.
Cornelia Street has many other variety of restaurants to choose from and we were told all good reviews.
So if you're doing NY for the first time and looking for a bit of ambiance, atmosphere with the good food and service then this is a must. If you're a returning or an often tripper to NYC like us and haven't experience Po then you MUST!

• Visited August 2013