“A Little Disappointed”
Review of Gotham Bar & Grill

Gotham Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Gotham Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: 5th Ave + University Place
Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street. F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south. 1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had great and not so great experiences at Gotham. I loved the atmosphere and the service was over the top exceptional. The appetizer I had (ceviche) was delicious and beautifully presented. However, the main course that my partner and I both chose, branzino, was disappointing. The fish was gorgeous and delicious. The accompaniment was too fussy and completely overwhelmed this wonderful fish. (On its own, it was also delicious, I have to admit.) I've eaten branzino in so many settings where it is minimal, this non-minimal preparation detracted from an otherwise great fish.

We enjoyed desert and wines. As I already noted, the service was terrific. I'd go back, but try other dishes.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Celebrated our Anniversary.
The place is very nice, a little crowded but not to much. The tables are VERY close to each other so you have very little privacy. Luckily we speak a foreign language so we had some privacy.
The Ceviche was excellent, the beat and goat cheese salad was very nice.
The Fouig gras was very very good. Just like it should be, full of flavor and melting in your mouth.
I had the Cod and it was probably the best tasting Cod I have ever had. The Branzini my wife had was good.
The Lemon pie was very good.
We had a very good bottle of
Neve Ilan Chardonnay.
Total with service $320 for the two of us.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Amazing, ate here for a birthday meal and it really didnt disappoint. The tuna tartare and chocolate cake are out of this world.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Gotham Bar And Grill embodies all the great elements of dining in New York. Fabulous food, great atmosphere, wonderful wine and top class service. Never miss it when I'm in town, I love it.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Friends living in NY chose this venue, it was on their hit list. The restaurant was smart and busy and appeared to be popular with professionals, so our group fitted the bill.
We were impressed with the patience of the waiter, he must have come back at least 3 times to take our order, we were busy catching up. There was no pressure with no second sitting waiting for our table, always a good sign. Judging by the theatricality (in a good way) of the waiter's performance, I'm guessing he was an actor between jobs.
The wine list was extensive and we asked our friends to pick, they chose a French Chardonnay. When it arrived it was cloudy, but they said they had had it before, so we didn't query it. However, it did taste unusual and if we had been on our own we would have sent it back. I think my partner would have preferred to pick on balance.
Eventually we ordered, there was an even 50:50 split between the soft shell crab (a special) and the halibut. I was a little underwhelmed by the crab, but everyone else really enjoyed what they ate.
The 2 guys had desserts, but I can't remember what they were, not usually a good sign. We were left in peace to chat at the table with no hassle to pay and leave, which was good.
Overall, I would say good quality food in a fashionable restaurant with nice waiters; I think it was the sort of place to see and be seen in. Personally, I would not go back.