“New York is better than this.”
Review of Bouley Restaurant

Bouley Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bouley Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 13,743 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Hudson Street
Transit: Chambers Street stop 1,2,3,A,C,E lines Brooklyn Bridge stop 4,5,6 lines City Hall stop R line
Description: Bouley features the exciting culinary talents of famed four- star Chef, David Bouley. Bouley offers French cuisine with modern Asian influences served in an elegant and intimate setting. In addition to the a la carte menu, the restaurant offers a $59 five course tasting menu for lunch, a prix fixe of three courses for $135 and $195 six course tasting menu for dinner. Parties of 8 or more may order from the tasting menu only and deposit is required to secure a reservation. Chef Bouley is always happy to accommodate all dietary needs and restrictions. Jackets are required for gentlemen at both lunch and dinner.
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New York is better than this.”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had lunch at Bouley on January 11th, 2014. Even with a reservation we were told it would be a fifteen minute wait for our table. It is interesting that they call you to re-confirm your reservation but when you arrive, they don't honor the time. The food is interesting and well prepared but not exceptional by any means. Where this restaurant really falls down is the service. At times we were rushed and then, inexplicably, ignored. One of the many waiters actually picked up my wife's plate and whisked it away while she was still eating - fork in hand. We sat with empty wine glasses in front of us for more than 5 minutes before anyone thought of refilling them. I realize this is petty but in a restaurant of this caliber, it truly is a black mark. I also asked for a refill on my coffee which never happened. On the up side, the room is remarkable. The arched ceiling and limestone fireplace create a wonderful ambiance. If you want atmosphere, this is your place. If you want great food and great service, New York is better than this.

1 Thank MJR4605

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Restaurant that didn't live up to it's Rep”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had dinner at Bouley on January 2nd. It was a snowy night in NYC and we were really looking forward to a good meal. We had eaten at Bouley before and were happy with the meal. We sat down and ordered a drink and after awhile saw other couples sitting down after us drinking and getting menus. Finally we asked the Maitre d' for a menu and he made up an excuse as to why we hadn't gotten a menu. Again as we watched other couples have their orders taken we had to call over the Maitre 'd to get someone to take our order. The worst was yet to come. When the runner brought out our food he couldn't find our table and I saw him going all over the room and finally on his second time around he stopped at our table. The food was warm, not cold and we should have sent it back, but we didn't. Too much had happened by them. Again the worst was yet to come. When we finished and paid the check we asked our waiter if he would get us a taxi. He said "you can go out to the street and wave one down." I then asked another waiter and he said to "go up to the cross street and wait on the corner." Remember it was snowing, 7 inches accumulated that night. Finally, the Maitre d' got us a cab. That was truly a night to remember.

1 Thank Michael P
New York City, New York
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Elegant, superb, relaxed, diverse crowd... wait-staff was attentive without being intrusive...truly professional.

Paris
“A memorable lunch”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

One of my most memorable lunches in New York!

The moment we walked through the door the feeling of warmth and Xmas embraced us. The cozy and romantic atmosphere makes this place unique.

The shelf with real apples when you enter is amazing.

Our table was downstairs.

We had the Chef Tasting menu

Chilled Cape Cod Wellfleet Oysters
Organic Kiwi, Fresh Sansho Pepper

Big Eye Tuna
Green Apple, Bergamot, Osetra Caviar

Forager’s Treasure of Wild Mushrooms
Sweet Garlic, Special Spices, Grilled Toro, Black Truffle Dressing (so good!)

Porcini Flan
Alaska Live Dungeness Crab, Black Truffle Dashi

All-Natural Pennsylvania Chicken
Baked “En Cocotte” with Alfalfa and Clover Hay
Blue Kale, Roasted Garlic (exceptional!)

Organic Long Island Duck
Organic Golden Nevada Dates
Hudson Valley Organic Hand Milled Polenta, Confit of Young Organic Clementines

Hot Valrhona Chocolate Soufflé
White Coffee Cloud, White Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Mousse

Hot Caramelized Anjou Pear
Valrhona Chocolate, Biscuit Breton, Hot Toffee Sauce
Lemon Verbena and Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream (amazing!)

Everything was so good but a special mention for

The bread trolley which is amazing! My favorite was the cranberry bread.
The chicken baked "en cocotte". So smooth, just extraordinary!

The pre-dessert was a coconut soup with passion fruit, pineapple granite.

When we left, we were given a made sugar fruits bread with sugar powder. What a nice and delicious attention.

We had such a great time that we started at 1pm and left at 4.30pm.

In conclusion my meal was better here than some of the 3 Michelin stars I have experienced in NY. So far, it is absolutely one of my best dining experiences.

Cannot wait to come back!

2 Thank MicheleParis
New York City
“Very good, but not amazing!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner recently at Bouley's restaurant. The decor and atmosphere were unique and very pleasing, and the service was impeccable. The food was somewhat disappointing- it was fine and presentation was gorgeous, but the taste was overall more of the expected than of the unusual and the entrees were nearly ridiculously too small. I am not a big person, in fact I am on the small side, and I do not eat a lot, but when I saw my lobster dish, I thought that it should be part of the tasting menu, and not offered as a main entree dish. It was the same with my husband's venison dish. The side dish was potato purée, and the portion was so unbelievably small that I thought it belonged in a doll's house! The whole thing was probably the equivalent of 2 to 3 tablespoons at most. We know well the top restaurants in the city, and we think that Bouley could do better, especially in view of the very steep prices for all dishes.
We had a pleasant time, but are not ready to return soon.