“Remember to confirm your reservation, or they will cancel you”
Review of Bouley Restaurant - CLOSED

Bouley Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Hudson Street
Transit: Chambers Street stop 1,2,3,A,C,E lines Brooklyn Bridge stop 4,5,6 lines City Hall stop R line
Description: Bouley features the exciting culinary talents of famed four- star Chef, David Bouley. Bouley offers French cuisine with modern Asian influences served in an elegant and intimate setting. In addition to the a la carte menu, the restaurant offers a $59 five course tasting menu for lunch, a prix fixe of three courses for $135 and $195 six course tasting menu for dinner. Parties of 8 or more may order from the tasting menu only and deposit is required to secure a reservation. Chef Bouley is always happy to accommodate all dietary needs and restrictions. Jackets are required for gentlemen at both lunch and dinner.
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I made the reservation some weeks back and it was disturbing to receive an email from opentable 1 hour before lunch that they cancelled my reservation. I called and they said i didn't call and confirm 48 hours before and claimed they couldn't get me on the phone. I checked the previous emails and indeed this was buried in the 5th paragraph. I guess it's my fault i work 18 hours a day, didn't read until the 5th paragraph and they didn't bother to email me within the 48 hours. Not many restaurants, even those with 3 michelin stars, are that ridiculous

So i arrived a little grumpy, not a great way to start. I started with still water and a crotzes hermitage red, the latter a little light bodied. The former was $9 for a couple of sips. The amuse bouche landed on my table with no explanation, i had to call someone over to explain the dish. Thr blue cheese dish was good but i wonder if everyone would like blue cheese and the cracker with cream and truffle was very good. i ordered the 5 items on the menu from memory without reading off the menu. As a "compliment", she said i could work there. Weird

The 1st course asparagus soup was tasty and robust. The server seemed to be in a foul mood. The 2nd course of cod was good too. Before my 3rd main, i had a complimentary dish of egg which was good. The main of wagyu beef cheeks was good too. As a palate cleanser, there was the "white cloud". It looks and feels like an ice cream cake but when i put each bite in my mouth, it's like eating cloud as every piece just disappears in an instant. Best dish of the meal. The 1st dessert was white peach which was good, and the 2nd dessert of chocolate souffle was also very good. Lastly the petit fours

Upon leaving they give you a pound cake to go

Overall was the food very good? Yes. But they can do even better with better reservation policy, and more cheerful staff

2  Thank bcheong
There are newer reviews for Bouley Restaurant

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I have been to Bouley before but we spent Easter Sunday there with three other couples and it was AMAZING! From the beauty of the room (perfect for springtime!!) to the attentive and friendly staff, the knowledgeable and helpful wine director, Adrien, to the incredible flavors that came from the choices on the tasting menu.... and the bread....it gets no better. All eight of us left remarking what a great experience we had and when are we coming back. This just might be my favorite restaurant in NYC ! You will be so happy you went.

3  Thank stankoart
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Visited New York for the first time over Easter and booked Bouley's a month in advance so as not too miss out, it's safe to say I was really looking forward to this experience. My husband and I have enjoyed amazing tasting menu's at Restaurant Gordon Ramsey and Aspley's a Heinz Beck restaurant both in London and also other restaurants in Europe so this wasn't our first 'high brow' dining experience. To begin with, gentleman do not forget to wear a jacket, it is a formal dining experience. The entrance is lovely, after waiting 15 minutes to be seated, which is not good enough in my opinion, we were taken downstairs to the red room which had a nice ambience. Upon being seated we were served bread and chose our wine. Over the next 2 hours we were served 3 of our 6 courses, It was now 10:30 and we weren't even half way through our meal. All the other patrons had left and our original waiter disappeared and we were left with a server whom struggled to speak English. We were then rushed through the next 3 courses with 2 addtional courses in an half an hour and felt like we were no longer welcome. The food was very hit and miss. Some courses were tasty but most courses in the tasting menu belong in a medeocre restaurant owned by an average chef. We weren't served anything special, experimental or outstanding, we've eaten better meals for 1/4 of the price in Paris. The food is either tasteless, unseasoned or in the case of the dessert over powering sweetness (I had the pineapple sorbet and couldn't finish it). I've noticed most reviews are for the lunch price, perhaps I would feel it was better value if I'd gone for lunch but even so I won't be returning, if you are a foodie with high expectations give this place a miss.

3  Thank tnrach
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Went for a 50th birthday celebration, truly wonderful experience.Food, wine, staff, decor are all fantastic. Partner had tasting meun which he was very impressed with. A really great experience and would recommend.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Everyone already knows: The food is inventive and amazing; the ambiance is warm, inviting and luxe; the service is attentive and professional without being stuffy. Since all that is well established, in this review I will focus on the unique experience I had at Bouley just a few nights ago, when my husband and I decided to take our seven year old son along for dinner. Ok...we were a little nervous. He is an adventurous eater and he's an only child, so he's used to being in situations where there may not be many other children around. So we decided to take him with us and give him a chance to enjoy this amazing dining experience. I am delighted to report that the staff at Bouley enjoyed "the littlest diner" and were very kind, even bringing him an extra dessert. This definitely is not a dining experience for all children but if you have a child who enjoys food and has a decent attention span, then try it. And if you don't have children, or don't wish to bring them along, then simply trust all the previous reviews because you will undoubtedly be treated to divine food and attention. Just lovely.